The 100 Mile Diet

Started by Lise, Apr 19 09 07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Seems like an interesting idea. I'm very interested but I know my entire family will not participate. Did anyone catch the show on Food Network? You're supposed to eat anything within 100 mile of your home so anything local is top on the list.

Like no chocolate. No beer. No pizza. No bread!!! And that's just the start.

[A href="http://100milediet.org/"]http://100milediet.org/[/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

I understand the theory and I try to support local produce growers when I can.  But that's much easier to do in the summer months...  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I might give this diet a whirl.  There is a Purdys, a brewery, a pizza joint and a bakery or two, all within 100 miles of my home.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

No wait... you can't have products that are grown outside the 100 mile. So you can't have Purdys because they use chocolate (which comes from Brazil or wherever) or pizza because the flour probably came from the US. Even the brewery unless it's made locally. Really difficult to use but I think your lifestyle will improved if you follow the diet.

I like the thought of supporting local farmers. I'm going to try and buy local produce because they were cheaper and fresher. The problem is looking around and hunting them down.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

lol Lise.  I know.  I was just being cheeky.  

But....I'm not about to give up everything that doesn't grow within 100 miles of my house.  Shopping local produce markets etc is a given....but eliminating everything else makes no sense to me.  No rice...no bran muffin for brekky...no oranges or orange juice....no coffee or tea....no sardines, no tuna.....no way.  I'll just be thanking my lucky stars, that we live in a place that has the ability to allow our diets to be so diverse.    

JJ

I agree PC isn't it healthier to have variety in your diet rather then to limit it.  I do buy as much local and grown in BC!

P.C.

I just reread the whole blurb again, and the point of it is still lost on me.  Maybe using the word 'Diet' in the mix is throwing the concept off track ?  I could see it being a fun exercise....for the purpose of getting to know what's available in your community.  But to eliminate foods that do not, nor ever will grow in my community is more than just a little off to me.  

It's like sleeping on the floor when there is a perfectly good bed in the room.

Lise

Ja, I think they should have called it the 100 Mile Lifestyle or something like that. Maybe they throw in the word diet to grab people's attention.....? At any rate, it just seems like an interesting concept.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

100 [span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]mile[/span] kilometre

somebody had to do it

100 mile seems rather easy to do (especially around here). 100km now that's a challenge.

- go fishing
-grow your own veggies
-buy some chickens for the backyard
-go find a local farmer who has a cow, buy milk from them directly

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Lise - There's a local farmer's market that opens up in the summer in New Westminster.  It's on Royal Avenue (just before getting to Patullo Bridge) beside the City Council place.  I've been there a few times and found the veggies/fruit (although fresh) to be so expensive.  

There's an excellent farmer's market on Kingsway and 12th Avenue (Langley Farm Market) that I love to go to for local produce.  It's affordable, fresh, clean, and local.  I think you'll like it there if you haven't visited it already.

purelife

Speaking of getting fresh milk, did anyone ever order fresh eggs and milk and have it delivered to your door step?  I know my neighbors order those glass milk from the Dairy farmers.  If I had the money......  

P.C.

Dairyland had door to door delivery for years. We used to have that when we were kids purelife.....and then it sort of disappeared.  Then it came back again when my kids were little.  Loved it.  

We also had friends who had their own farm, who delivered milk and eggs....really fresh milk and eggs.....and we would get duck and goose eggs too. Yum

[FONT size=2]100 mile seems rather easy to do (especially around here). 100km now that's a challenge.

- go fishing
-grow your own veggies
[/FONT]

For me, I'm not confused at all about what I CAN get.  I've been a 'farmers market' shopper since I can remember.  It's what I CAN'T get that makes the 'diet' quite odd and highly unappealing to me.  I wouldn't even entertain the thought of never having coffee, oranges and grapefruits, bananas, rice, pasta, tea, cherries, grapes, nectarines etc....the list is long.  Uh Uh.  Never happen.  Even doing all of the things you listed won't change that.  

I love that it makes me think about where our food comes from....but really....that's about it.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
Dairyland had door to door delivery for years. We used to have that when we were kids purelife.....and then it sort of disappeared.  Then it came back again when my kids were little.  Loved it.  
We also had friends who had their own farm, who delivered milk and eggs....really fresh milk and eggs.....and we would get duck and goose eggs too. Yum

[em]100 mile seems rather easy to do (especially around here). 100km now that's a challenge.

- go fishing
-grow your own veggies
[/em]

For me, I'm not confused at all about what I CAN get.  I've been a 'farmers market' shopper since I can remember.  It's what I CAN'T get that makes the 'diet' quite odd and highly unappealing to me.  I wouldn't even entertain the thought of never having coffee, oranges and grapefruits, bananas, rice, pasta, tea, cherries, grapes, nectarines etc....the list is long.  Uh Uh.  Never happen.  Even doing all of the things you listed won't change that.  

I love that it makes me think about where our food comes from....but really....that's about it.

--------
You can make your own pasta
you can cultivate rice
Strawberries are grown in this area
Japan is growing rice underground in labs now (i saw it somewhere) so 50yrs from now, we could have like grow rice ops in our basements. lol
cherries - plant your own trees
Peaches are grown in BC if you average 20-30 or more for the hottest month in Summer, grow it!
You can't do coffee, but you can grow your own tea plants in this climate
plant some apple trees
sweet corn
potatoes
seaweed
you can grow your own grapes
nectarines are peaches

just playing devil's advocate here and promoting community farms. lol

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

You can make your own pasta  - No doubt....I make it all the time.  But it's trickier without flour.

you can cultivate rice  - Not likely.

Strawberries are grown in this area  -  I know.

Japan is growing rice underground in labs now (i saw it somewhere) so 50yrs from now, we could  - Not going to help.

have like grow rice ops in our basements. lol  -Not likely

cherries - plant your own trees  - That may be helpful for the next generation...not going to do a thing for me.

Peaches are grown in BC if you average 20-30 or more for the hottest month in Summer, grow it!  - Not 100 miles from me.  Sawdust used to have a peach tree....and grapes.  But they are hardly a common commodity around here.

You can't do coffee, but you can grow your own tea plants in this climate  - Coffee off the list is not an option

plant some apple trees - I don't have time

sweet corn - Not on the list of can't haves

potatoes -Not on the list of can't have

seaweed - Pass

you can grow your own grapes - I'm not up for $26.00 a pound, which is what it would cost.  Not a long enough or hot enough summer for that here.  It's on the edge.

nectarines are peaches - Too scarce....would be priced higher than diamonds.

just playing devil's advocate here and promoting community farms. lol  - That's the thing....I don't need anyone to promote them....I have always been a fan.  I have concluded that this exercise isn't for me.