Requests for share of will

Started by P.C., Apr 02 09 04:37

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

[P align=left][FONT face=Arial]I am an animal lover.  I donate to the SPCA and adopt pets instead of funding breeders and pet stores.[/FONT]

[P align=left][FONT face=Arial]  But there's something about this commercial that's airing these days that for some reason is just a little off to me.  It's the one where they request you leave something in your will to the SPCA.  Don't get me wrong...I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea....it's the asking I suppose.  It just seems so wrong.[/FONT]

[P align=left][FONT face=Arial][/FONT]Is this 'wrong' or in poor taste ?

[P align=left][FONT face=Arial size=2][/FONT]

[P align=left] [P align=left][FONT face=Arial size=2][/FONT]

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][O:P][/O:P]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][O:P]I hear ya Michel.   I don't mind donating to charities....although I understand what you're saying about making proper choices to not have these problems in the first place.  However....we aren't making those choices and the need is there.  [/O:P]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][O:P]What I object to in this particular case, is asking something ...that to me, is extremely personal.  Your Will.  I can't help but think this is targeting lonely elderly people with big soft hearts and little or no family.[/O:P]

Michel

P.C.

Exactly !  And the ad IS gut-wrenching.

I just wrote them a letter.

Michel

P.C.

Not me.  I wrote them a cyber letter.   I know it will accomplish nothing, but it had to be said.

Michel

[em]              
[/em]

Gopher

P.C. wrote:
 Exactly !  And the ad IS gut-wrenching.

I just wrote them a letter.

Well done, PC. You get my standing ovation.

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

The worst thing that ever happened to the periphery nations for example was NGO's and charities. They made poverty issues, HIV what it is today.

I see charities like state governments see gambling revenues for education in the states

Okay, enact gambling money to education, but then secretly cut education, so the gambling money replaces the state. Schools fail, education doesn't get better, but worse.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Heck, when it comes to asking money for charities, you do what you need to do to get money. I've no qualms about asking someone to leave a bit of something aside in your will if I work for the SPCA or any other charities. What does it matter so long as you get something in the name of charity? I know this attitude might put off a lot of people but you don't see what it's like on the other side where suffering is at its worst.

It can't hurt you to donate a bit to charity in your will. I mean, you're dead anyways. You're going to leave almost everything to your loved ones so why not a bit for charity?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Heck, when it comes to asking money for charities, you do what you need to do to get money.

I disagree.  Preying on the elderly is out of bounds IMO.

I've no qualms about asking someone to leave a bit of something aside in your will if I work for the SPCA or any other charities. What does it matter so long as you get something in the name of charity? I know this attitude might put off a lot of people but you don't see what it's like on the other side where suffering is at its worst.

In the name of charity ?  If you're asking for it....then it isn't charity.  I think it's called begging.

It can't hurt you to donate a bit to charity in your will. I mean, you're dead anyways. You're going to leave almost everything to your loved ones so why not a bit for charity?

I wonder if you might be missing the point a little bit.  I have no qualms about donating to charity....the operative word being donating...not solicited or extorted.  [/DIV]

Gopher

Another charity ploy which angers me is their sending you 'free' stuff through the post and then expecting you to make'a donation' for it. I always stick the 'gift' back in an envelope and send it back to them unstamped.  

Michel

Gopher

I do, I write stacks of them - always have.