Vancouver Winter Olympics

Started by Violet, Feb 25 09 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Sportsdude

haha PC.

An idiot would only drive in a European major city. China doesn't count, its madness over there and its a free for all after they've been poisoned by North American world view of transportation.
-walk
-bike
-tube
-trains

Now turn streets into malls where grubby little petrol mobiles can't reach:

[img style="width: 515px; height: 386px;" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/S-Bahn_Berlin_Baureihe_481.jpg/800px-S-Bahn_Berlin_Baureihe_481.jpg[/img]

trains to reach to the burbs.

To the nearest city:
[img style="width: 594px; height: 414px;" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/Mountfujijapan.jpg/800px-Mountfujijapan.jpg[/img]

and in the future.. across continents

[img style="width: 631px; height: 473px;" src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/JR-Maglev-MLX01-2.jpg/800px-JR-Maglev-MLX01-2.jpg[/img]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Violet

You're my boy Blue!!!

Sportsdude

which one? the last one? That's a maglev, costs about 9 billion to lay a couple miles of track down, but it should drop.

P.C.

SD wrote: An idiot would only drive in a European major city.

It looks like they've got a shipload of idiots over there.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
[em]SD wrote: An idiot would only drive in a European major city.[/em]

It looks like they've got a shipload of idiots over there.

Not my fault they want to look rich and drive around. Who drives a car in city centres in Europe? People who think they're too good to be with the rest of us.

[a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/dec/19/transport.uk"]http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/dec/19/transport.uk[/a]

In 2025, Paris regional train network will look like this:

62km out of the region to places like Malesherbes and Creil, so it goes everywhere, you have no excuses on why you decide to take an archaic form of urban transit in those cities. Cars, congestion of the streets and of the heart the machine that kills us and makes us fat. weee

Equivalent would be from downtown to White Rock, which will explode in growth by 2030 and needs links to the city.

Vancouver needs an S-bahn that connects to New Westminster-Burnaby-Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam, North Vancouver, West Vancouver (replace the Lions Gate with something that actually works), Surrey, South Surrey, White Rock, Langley, Richmond, Delta. On top of the skytrain lines, then set up a tram system for downtown, close car traffic to Robson turn it into a pedestrian mall, high speed rail link to Seattle, more ferries going back and forth between North Van and downtown.

Vancouver Island- Commuter Rail from Nanaimo to Victoria, LRT for Victoria

the s-bahn idea won't happen in Vancouver, skytrain won't get extended into the growth areas, we'll still be subservant to cars.

coffee is wearing off. lol

since there's no alternative to oil, you delay peak oil and the decline of development much as possible before resources start running out and we start nuking each other for coal and stuff. When it happens, we won't have nation states anymore they'll have to be dissolved too big in the post-oil world, therefore its in our best interests to build an infrastructure now before we are unable to do to loss of the earth's capacity to sustain us.

sleeep, wait meeting in 15mins, ughhhh

P.C.

"Not my fault they want to look rich and drive around. Who drives a car in city centres in Europe? People who think they're too good to be with the rest of us."

'Not my fault they want to look rich and drive around' ?   LOL  You know that's nonsense, right ?

What an odd conclusion as to who these people are and why they are there.

People who drive think they're too good to be with the rest of us ???....again....pure nonsense.  Wasn't that you driving around in a gas guzzling Bonneville last year.  

"Vancouver Island- Commuter Rail from Nanaimo to Victoria, LRT for Victoria"

News flash.  We have a rail system from Victoria to Courtenay.  It has passed by the back of my property twice a day for 20 years.  The maximum load is seldom more than half a dozen passengers....more often, less.

"coffee is wearing off. lol"

May I recommend a Scotch ?

"Since there's no alternative to oil, you delay peak oil and the decline of development much as possible before resources start running out and we start nuking each other for coal and stuff."

Since there's no alternative to oil, doesn't it make sense to work on the development of things being powered by renewable resources ? I don't know if I'm over simplifying things, but the solution is solar or wind generated power.  

Violet

If a European drives a car, they are acting rish and snooty? I missed something here.

Peak oil and such is very true though. I just can't see how trains are going to solve the worlds transportation issues. It is a good start though. Oil is low today, but I feel it is temporary. I am not an analyst though, I am just assuming.

what about the manufacturing of these trains? How much energy does it take to build them? And where does that energy come from? Once built, what kind of energy will drive them? That is one massive wind farm that it would take to have enough power for a high speed train.
You're my boy Blue!!!

P.C.

I'm not certain if it's possible to power a train from the wind, directly....but it certainly has the ability to power peoples homes....so it stands to reason that it could power manufacturing plants etc.  There are people who are not only powering their homes with one fairly small simple structure....but they have enough to sell their excess back to the power companies.

Violet

oh yes. I agree wind energy is fantastic. I am just cautious about how fantastic trains are supposed to be when they don't really run off the passengers peddling.
You're my boy Blue!!!

P.C.

Ah yes....the ol Flinstones train. lol

I wonder sometimes, if part of the problem, is our inability to give up speed.  Would it help ?  We have the technology NOW to produce solar and electric vehicles.  One of the reasons they are having difficulties breaking them into the mainstream, is because they don't have the ability to travel at 120 kliks.  I don't know....just a thought.  

Violet

yes, society is in a hurry, to go nowhere. haha.

I find Toronto actually has a pretty decent train, subway, and highways system. it isn't the best, but it has come a long ways. the 401 is pretty smooth until snow hits, haha. then chaos!
You're my boy Blue!!!

Sportsdude

rotfl

i was 'off the rocker a bit' on a caffeine withdrawal. Omg coffee is the new crack. This morning I had my 10th cup of McDonalds coffee in 4 days and my heart beat started beating faster for some reason.

well you could always electrify the trains develop some electric motor and have the electric power lines to nuclear.

Maglev don't need oil, it runs on magnets or something.

P.C.

I'm thankful coffee doesn't make me mental.

Well.

[FONT size=1]More mental.[/FONT]

Sportsdude

haha yeah I was talking about diet coke with my chemical engineer roommate and he said they've done studies about aspartame and its put holes in people's head. I'm like, well I was diagnosed with ADD in grade 2 so what's a few more holes in my head.  

|