Vancouver Winter Olympics

Started by Violet, Feb 25 09 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Violet

that sounds like a possibility. don't ferries and trains use an insane amount of energy to run also though? Also, to manufacture in the first place.

They also thought in the 60s, that by 2000, everyone would have a flying car, running off of water.

I agree on the mentality. I drive a tiny car, and live pretty close to our shop. No suv for me.
You're my boy Blue!!!

Sportsdude

I don't think anyone thought of flying cars,  logically they don't make sense. We'd need air traffic controllers everywhere and an accident in the air would mean almost certain death, people watched the Jetsons too much and the whole Space Age, that comes from the whole futurist era I bet. The future in the 60s was computers, space and robotics from what I've seen in movies and literature at least. St Louis seems to be full of Space Age stuff, I kind a like it, kinda don't, long for that era though. Post Modernism is boring, makes me sad, destroys history, I weep every time I go into the Main Library at UBC.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Violet

lol, yeah right. The Literature you read. haha. Are you for real? ok KNOWER OF ALL.

When I say "they" in the 60s, yes, the dreamers. Most likely Jetsons fans. Just like your predicted dates into the 2030s and 2050s. You have no clue.

If you had a real crystal ball, you wouldn't be bored ass wasting your time on a forum. haha.    
You're my boy Blue!!!

Violet

i hear you about the history thing. that is what i found appealing about montreal compared to TO.

I don't think you would find much history at UBC would you?  Barely over 100 years old or so no?
You're my boy Blue!!!

P.C.

I can't see a ferry being profitable in the least.  It's only half way to Whistler....so you still need a second mode of transportation.  

The ferries to the Island are hurtin....and have been for some time AND there's no alternative.  You can be certain, that if there was a highway running along side the ferry route, the ferries would die a rapid or instant death.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

It was an idea floated for just for the olympics, I think. Although I could give you an article where the Squamish mayor was disappointed in not having the option seen through. Squamish like it or not is a bedroom community for Vancouver, so less cars on a highway is always a plus, but then the West Coast Express to Squamish would better fit that problem.

lol on 'the literature' I picked at up in one of my classes from a know it all 30 something lawyer phd student who was our TA for the final discussion class. He kept going on and on about 'the literature' and then correct the prof who is considered to be in the top 10 of people in the world in his field, that he didn't know anything.  That guy was something else. haha

so 'the literature' is when I'm mocking this one guy. lol

UBC's library was old and cool, then they proceeded to tear it down except for the middle section (because it is considered historic) and turned the library into a sea of ugly glass.

Basically they did what happened to Soldier Field in Chicago

Before:

After:

They destroyed any historical significance of the stadium to the point that people don't consider it historic anymore. UBC in my opinion did that with the library. They ruined it.

P.C.

It was an idea floated for just for the olympics, I think. Although I could give you an article where the Squamish mayor was disappointed in not having the option seen through. Squamish like it or not is a bedroom community for Vancouver, so less cars on a highway is always a plus, but then the West Coast Express to Squamish would better fit that problem.

Yea....I don't think a ferry is the solution at all.  The old Squamish dock would not support a ferry system, so starting there, you're already into the millions to replace that.  Then you have the wildlife issue.  Our eagles winter up there and the herring spawn up there.  It's just not good all the way around.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c001.gif" border=0]

Sportsdude

PC, Squamish has a port that has ocean vessels going up it all the time with logs and such, its not a wildlife area. So I don't know how a ferry would alter something that's already being altered by a road, and ships.  

P.C.

PC, Squamish has a port that has ocean vessels going up it all the time with logs and such, its not a wildlife area. So I don't know how a ferry would alter something that's already being altered by a road, and ships.

Well...I'll tell ya SD.  As a kid, our family used to picnic at Horseshoe Bay ALL the time.  My Uncle lived there, so we were there frequently.  We swam in the clear water, and we caught little fish off the wharf with a piece of fish line and a hook.  We caught crabs and dug clams.

Now you have a look at Horseshoe Bay, and tell me if you'd swim in that swill.  And you could sit there all day, and you won't find a crab, or a clam or see little fish in that water.  So please don't try to tell me, that it wouldn't be altered.

Sportsdude

I don't get what you're saying, the Sound is already altered by the port in Squamish. If we could turn back the clock and set things back the way they were, that's be awesome, but the reality is British Columbia is growing and will continue to grow and we've got to facilitate that in a way where we least alter the environment and surroundings. Never again will we see what the people did here in the beginning of the 20th century when they clear cut the entire region, that won't happen anymore.

But at the same time, people decided to continue to build up the mountain in West Vancouver or the crazy growth of Nanaimo where now they just see trees as nothing (Cable Bay) the expansion into agricultural lands in the Fraser Valley. People decided to make a goat path road into a highway and call it the Sea to Sky.

There's been pluses, in the 70s with SPOTA and the highway that was going to go through downtown Vancouver up Stanley Park to West Vancouver. There's been minuses the Gateway Project which will only increase more cars on the road in a time when that's not what the region needs.

The road to Whistler is fine, its a solution for now at the present but its a 20th Century solution to a 21st century world.

I'm sorry about the terminal, you could probably tell me when it was built, for me I don't understand why its not in Vancouver, but the people who decided to have the terminal built at Horseshoe were the people themselves ultimately.

I was watching CNN an hour or two ago, a train company was promoting itself and their trains, it can go 400 miles with full cargo on 1 gallon of fuel. Trucks can't do that.  

P.C.

I don't get what you're saying, the Sound is already altered by the port in Squamish. If we could turn back the clock and set things back the way they were, that's be awesome, but the reality is British Columbia is growing and will continue to grow and we've got to facilitate that in a way where we least alter the environment and surroundings. Never again will we see what the people did here in the beginning of the 20th century when they clear cut the entire region, that won't happen anymore.

I'm not saying anything complicated.  I'm just saying that a ferry system into Squamish is not the answer.  When the roots of planning for progress are based in the attitude, that something is already ruined, so what does it matter....is simply wrong.

We always need fresh ideas, young ideas....but one of the drawbacks with that, is that they are dealing with what IS....with the notion that that's just the way it is or the way it always was.  They have no concept of what it was, what it should be, or what it could be again.  

So, in getting back to basics here....who in their right mind is going to shell out 50 bucks for a 50 minute ferry ride, when there is a new and improved highway that might cost 8 bucks worth of gas for a 30 minute drive. I just can't find any logic in that at all.

P.C.

Never again will we see what the people did here in the beginning of the 20th century when they clear cut the entire region, that won't happen anymore.

Oh yea.......and just how old do you think I am ????   [img onclick="selecte('stern.gif');" alt=emoticon src="http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/blehnet/stern.gif" border=0]  

Michel

P.C.

1 gallon of fuel per second?       lol I think you're wrong

I know.  I was erring on the side of caution....basically trying to make a point.  (I don't think your math is accurate either )

As for the rest of your comment....that's pretty much what I've been sayin.  As I said in my first post on the subject....a ferry to this destination, just isn't cost effective.  (not to mention the multitude of other problems it would create)        

Michel

|