Vancouver Winter Olympics

Started by Violet, Feb 25 09 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

[A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,73.2730.html"]http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,73.2730.html[/A]

Posts 2742 .......from Pics Only.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Sportsdude

The province and the city of Vancouver will be struggling to pay off the debt for most of my adult life most likely.
Yeah we get a highway that's expensive when there was much cheaper transportation options available, i.e rail and ferry services up the sound, and we also get the Gateway Project.

have fun for 2 weeks. :)

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Violet

is ferry services cheaper? that would be cool. take your skis on the ferry and it drops you off at the hill.

actually, that sounds really sweet.
You're my boy Blue!!!

Sportsdude

Instead of building the highway which will be prone to even more massive slides.
You could of had a BC Ferry service from Horseshoe Bay up to Sqaumish and a high speed BC Rail passenger and freight line up to Whistler.  

But the ferry service isn't going to happen and BC Rail was sold off.

Michel

Sportsdude

Very true. The other road that probably needs to be fixed is Highway 4, people complaining about Tofino getting commercial, well it can only go so far with that death trap of a highway. Yeah the rich people can fly helicopters, big deal. lol Although I do like the remoteness of the road, its just an insane highway around those blind cliffs.

Michel

P.C.

I don't begrudge a nickel that's going into improving that highway.  It's been overdue for improvement since I can remember.  It truly is one of the most practical uses of the insane amounts of money being spent for a 2 week event....at least this one will last.

I can't see the Horseshoe Bay to Squamish ferry route being cost effective.  I'm not even sure if there would be the depth of waters required to support that.  Very rocky and narrow channels through there (under water)

Sportsdude

Michel wrote:
Just wait until you explore other roads, like the sea to sky after Whistler, or the number 3, or Williams Lake area, or the Cassiar highway (nearly killed myself there). No place to stop, trucks never slowing down, wild curves in mountainous area and no asphalt. In Muncho Lake area, all the bathrooms on the way are full of graffiti of truckers fighting against tourists. These two groups of users don't mix well up there, some being rushed by profits, others being tired and interested into enjoying the view on their way up or down from Alaska.

The train for Whistler would have been great, but hard to swallow as it would have been used only by sers of the Ski center. True, they compose the vast majority of the trafic, but still, it would be extremely annoying to pay for their leisure only.

I feel disapointed that they didn't seems to have think to make nice loop-out with unobstructed view on the new sea to sky. That's not bright. There might be a furure in that field SD. It's not urban develp,et, but it sure would be a big plus in BC. That can attracts lots of tourism and enhance the pleasure of roadtrips.

-----------------
what field? If I get to what I want to do, it'll be transportation oriented, I learnt to read on maps, drew out where roads should go since 10 on those street guides. No magazines in the bathroom, just provincial and state maps and country State Farm road atlas, memorized where all the cities were etc. lol anyway..

Yeah the unobstructed view of the new highway, that's a major concern I see. The Sound is so beautiful and when I drove up to Squamish last year I about killed myself looking at the scenery and driving into the sun and construction at the same time. With H. 4 I was able to stop and soak it in at places (and well there were logger trucks which slowed everything to a crawl and I went way below the speed limit which ticked off a few crazy 4x4s).

I wasn't thinking in terms of tourists for Whistler, the aim would be bigger.  The region is next growth area of the Vancouver area. People live in Squamish, work in Vancouver. And eventually there will be a high speed rail link with Portland-Seattle-Vancouver, the besides political will the actor always slowing down this idea is BC. When the California line is built, BC/Wash/Oregon should come together and create their own. Then link the Oregon line up with California and you've got the entire West Coast connected by high speed 350kph an hour (220mph) trains. As fuel becomes scarce, the idea of interstates will wain and planes can't fly on anything other than crude oil. It could be realized by 2030ish at the earliest but more likely 2050.

Sportsdude

Squamish is a deep water port and they had a ferry service from Vancouver until the highway was built.

P.C.

Violet

sounds interseting in theory. Not sure how many skiers/boarders you would be able to convince to go through a ferry, train, then what from there? Taxis? Buses.

I foresee a lot of people saying Fu** IT, lets just drive.

I mention skiers because, who else would go to Whistler?
You're my boy Blue!!!

Violet

anyone see the movie Singles?

Seattle movie where the transportation engineer got shot down by the city because "PEOPLE LOVE THEIR CARS".

Although, I would take the train if I could. More time for shut eye. haha.
You're my boy Blue!!!

Sportsdude

The car is run on a scarce resource that isn't widely available. There is no other alternative for the car on long distance trips, and the North American mentality will end, the 1950/60s view of cars that is promoted will die off in a decade or just raise gasoline up to 4.00 a gallon and people start thinking like the Japanese and Europeans.  Gas goes back down, buy the Hummer.  

|