Seattle Music Scene

Started by None, Feb 24 09 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

None

Does Seattle have a lively music scene. I am aware the days of Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, etc. are long gone, but what is going on for music in the city nowadays?

What are the best venues to see live music?

P.C.

TehBorken is the only one from Seattle, None.   Good question though.  Where are you from ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

None

Toronto area, Richmond Hill.

i want to see Seattle and Vancouver.

P.C.

Have you ever been out west at all ?

None

I was in Kamloops for a wedding years ago. Other than that, I have been to Medicine Hat and go there often with my job. Wanted to move out west, but it is looking almost as grim as Ontario for jobs these days.  

P.C.

Yea....not too promising right now I suppose.  I guess it depends on what field you're in.  I imagine the cost of living might be close to the same ?    

None

I am not sure? Toronto isn't doing as bad as surrounding cities like Oshawa. But I wouldn't be able to move to Vancouver and get ahead. Back in 05 I was serious about moving. That brought me to DV (which didn't help much).

Maybe a medium size town? Nothing wrong with Toronto. I just wanted to try something different.

I am in the tire business and times are getting tough. Barely keeping my head above water. Lots of time to play on the internet these days. Google Earth all the way.

I am not looking to make a million dollars, I just want to pay the bills and have a little left over for fun.

Seattle looks so beautiful from pictures.

P.C.

I LOVE Google Earth !!!!  I have a tendency to get carried away with it though.  Travel the world in the comfort of my own chair.  OK....so it's not perfect....but I love that I can at least have glimpses of the world, that I know I'll never see in real life.  

I hear ya on the money thing.  No desire here for millions either....although I have no guage to know this for sure.  But enough to be comfortable with a little fun left over is good.

None

yeah, our business dropped alomst 45% since September.

I am taking a wait and see approach. Looks grim for the next 2 years minimal.

Is there a "shoot, we are heading for the next Great Depression" thread?

P.C.

lol.....not yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

I could get linched for saying so....but I think we could all use a gentle reminder that we are a generation of excesses, waste, greed, instant everything, luxuries mistaken for needs, want want want.

If that can be achieved by some severe belt tightening....so be it.

None

I help run a family owned business. We compete against the big guys like Good Year. (which brought us to Medicine Hat where they make tires). But we developed a good base with our clients. They want to support us, they are just out of work too.

I believe if we keep a high quality product, and excellent customer service, we will be ok in the long run. LOOONG RUN.

I don't own season tickets to the Leafs. I rent a small apartment. I drive a 95 Honda. I eat as affordable as I can. my belt is already tight.

P.C.

Well....I hope it all works out, None.  I like to see a family owned business hang in there and thrive.  Good product, good service....most of the 'Big Guys' can usually only boast one or the other of those.

I'm getting outside.   2 cords of wood waiting to be stacked since November....and it's a gorgeous day out !

None

P.C. wrote:
  Well....I hope it all works out, None.  I like to see a family owned business hang in there and thrive.  Good product, good service....most of the 'Big Guys' can usually only boast one or the other of those.

I'm getting outside.   2 cords of wood waiting to be stacked since November....and it's a gorgeous day out !
 wood for a wood heater? that must be a lot of work?

Sportsdude

Depends what you're looking for out here. If you like the idea of getting to other cities on a whim like you can in Toronto, Vancouver is just a tad isolated in that regard. If you're looking for a nature getaway on the weekends then this is the place.  The pace here is really slow and relaxed, the area has a 'Sunday afternoon stroll' atmosphere where literally its Sunday afternoon 365 days a year, if you get the metaphor.  

If you're looking for tranquillity, then BC is probably the place to be, when the sun is out people I've noticed and including myself tend to get this feeling of wow and amazement (at sunsets especially) like they've lived there whole life underground and are going above ground for the first time in their life to sounds of angel choirs and the heavens singing. At least that's what I see and feel. In that regard I always feel like I'm on vacation 24/7 especially when I come in contact with nature. This nirvana-ish type atmosphere gets greater away from Vancouver I've felt. The island is one giant lsd trip for me.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

None

I am not looking for much really. Live music. I was more just curious how alive Seattle is. Seems like a fantastic place. And by live I mean cranked amps, not some near-dead hippie playing an acoustic guitar in a coffee shop.