Gov Gen thinks Vancouver is in the Rocky Mountains

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 13 09 10:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

We need to liberate ourselves from this madness, Republic![/p]That said NBC did the same thing at the end of Beijing. Said 'the splendour of the the Canadian Rockies.'
[/p][a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090213.wolympicmountain13/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090213.wolympicmountain13/BNStory/National/home?cid=al_gam_mostview[/a]
[/p]"From that city you can see some very, very tall mountains ... and these mountains are called ..." Ms. Jean asked, before proclaiming: "The Rockies."[/p] Cue freshman senator, B.C. resident and Olympic ski legend Nancy Greene, with a geography crash course.[/p] "No, it's the Coast Mountains," Ms. Greene said.[/p] In an exchange captured by CTV, Ms. Jean laughs at her mistake, turning off-camera to an unseen woman said to be Ms. Greene.[/p] "We can also call them the Rockies, no?" she asked.[/p] No, we can't. There are seven different mountain ranges in mainland southern B.C., including the Coast Mountains, where the Games will be held, and the Rockies far to the east. Ms. Jean skipped the Purcell, Selkirk, Cariboo, Monashee and Cascade ranges.[/p]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

Whatev.  People around the world have heard of the Rocky Mountains...if they want to fly to YVR and throw their tourist dollars around town, I'm ok with them calling the mountains whatever name.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

lol typical mistake made by everybody in Québec. The "Rockies" is used to described all the mountains from Alberta to the Pacific.

I've just always assumed they didn't know anything existed beyond The Rockies.   [/DIV]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
 [div][em]lol typical mistake made by everybody in Québec. The "Rockies" is used to described all the mountains from Alberta to the Pacific.[/em]

I've just always assumed they didn't know anything existed beyond The Rockies.  

Trudeau did say Canada ended at the BC/Alberta border or something like that.
BCers I've met think of themselves differently anyway and 'back east' people are like 'where's the Tim Horton's?'

lol Oh yes that mystical train ride all PQ and BQ politicians took as college kids that turned them into Quebec nationalists. lol

[/div]

Sportsdude

Just remember, this is our currency of the future....

None

Sportsdude wrote:
P.C. wrote:
 lol typical mistake made by everybody in Québec. The "Rockies" is used to described all the mountains from Alberta to the Pacific.

I've just always assumed they didn't know anything existed beyond The Rockies.  

Trudeau did say Canada ended at the BC/Alberta border or something like that.
BCers I've met think of themselves differently anyway and 'back east' people are like 'where's the Tim Horton's?'

lol Oh yes that mystical train ride all PQ and BQ politicians took as college kids that turned them into Quebec nationalists. lol

[/DIV]Trudeau was an odd man for saying that. He and Ottawa was probably more disliked by Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta than BC. Maybe he was sucking up to the praries at the expense of BC?

None

And who cares if some Americans don't know the difference between the Rockies or the Coastals. I wouldn't know the difference between Alabama and Arkansas, and I don't want to know.

P.C.

I don't think anyone said anything about Americans.....or did I miss it ?

None

P.C. wrote:
 I don't think anyone said anything about Americans.....or did I miss it ?[/DIV]
 NBC is American no? Or can Canadians really understand they are in a different country?

P.C.

Ahh !  Humble apologies.  I DID miss it.  I thought we were dissing Quebec.  

P.C.

I thought you'd like that one.

I kind of agree with None.  We seem to get some kind of demented pleasure in criticizing the Americans for not knowing Canadian Geography, and yet I suspect many of us are equally clueless about the States.

*yes SD...I know you know more about Canadian geography than most (if not all) Canadians.

None

Michel wrote:
 *Picks up from under his desk his carbord sign with "Québec Libre" written on it, unites with his imaginary friend, get into the street and begins chanting "Kwebek Kwebek Kwebek"*

Yes We are among you... Be effraid, be very effraid rocky mountaineers [/DIV]
 Quebec is kind of like that cat in your avatar. Very pretty, but don't forget about the claws.