Phelps: When will we learn

Started by P.C., Feb 03 09 07:32

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I get frustrated often times, with the false ideals that 'we' place on athletes.  First of all, they don't meet the requirements to be deemed HEROS.  There isn't that kind of bravery in sports, to be given such a noble title.  Second...they are not by default, role models, philosophers or representatives of apple-pie-eating-hot-dog-loving-wholesome-goodness.

When they 'get caught' not living up to the standards set by advertising sponsors, we act like they have failed....when in fact the only thing that has failed, is the image that has been falsely set on their shoulders by others.

When will we learn that sometimes a good swimmer is just a good swimmer and leave it at that.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

marketing.
In the 80s we decided or marketing departments decided to turn players into a brand. This leads to the whole 'role model' scenario as it could/can become your brand. Like Yao Ming- role model to billions, its his brand. Other people's brands dictate that they should be villians others heroes.

woot marketing.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

The market may drive some things, but the whole media industry is to blame....setting these people up as idols....not to mention the weak who depend on the media to tell them who their 'heroes' should be. LOL  They are always so shocked when they find out they are just regular people who have a particular skill in a particular sport.  

Sportsdude

Like Charles Barkley said "I'm no role model"

Oh they interviewed Obama live yesterday morning on the today show, Lauer pointed out that his face was cut out of the front cover of the family photo for US Weekly for a Jessica Simpson weight problem photo.

Well that's another thing, in the US we tend to view our leaders as role models and then when they show us that they're human like the rest of us, we have a moral let down.  Which is why I never understood how Gordon Campbell survived the DUI in Hawaii. lol

There was a time once where US politicians could get away with that stuff (FDR, JFK come quickly to mind) but that era ceased with the advent of 24hr news and the internet. Now we elect people that we believe represent us and to half the population that means morally.

Somewhere along the line this idea of moral public figures transferred to celebrities and sports atheletes.

That said, the big scandal last year in Asia was Edison Chen. His career is over and the Triads have a hit on him. If that happened in the the US industry he'd be huge.

So there's double standards for everything. If your Hollywood, we like train wrecks. If your Hollywood but have a wholesome image then your a role model who immediately gets disowned by the moralists the instant the 'truth' comes out. lol

Athletes who are prominent must be moral.
Politicians don't get elected if they're not.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
I get frustrated often times, with the false ideals that 'we' place on athletes.  First of all, they don't meet the requirements to be deemed HEROS.  There isn't that kind of bravery in sports, to be given such a noble title.  

I couldn't agree more. No sports figure is a "hero". They may or may not be role models, but that's another thing altogether.

A "hero" is someone who does something that most people wouldn't do, and there's no pay involved. No astronaut, police officer, fire fighter, or football player qualifies. A person who runs into a burning house and rescues someone is a hero.

No NASCAR driver is a hero, no teacher is a hero, no Senator or or member of Congress, no paramedic, no soldier, no doctor. None of those people qualifies as a "hero" in my book, even though they may do extraordinarily wonderful and amazing things, helpful things, or things worthy of admiration. They may be role models, but they aren't heroes.

[/div][div style="font-style: italic;"]When they 'get caught' not living up to the standards set by advertising sponsors, we act like they have failed....when in fact the only thing that has failed, is the image that has been falsely set on their shoulders by others.

Once again, I couldn't agree more. Why in the world would anyone (should anyone) think that a football player or basketball star is a better person than the average human being? It's insane.

When will we learn that sometimes a good swimmer is just a good swimmer and leave it at that.

Well said. You hit the nail on the head.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lil Me

Totally agree.

On another note, am I the only person laughing at the U.S. reaction to a person smoking pot?
 The county sheriff is investigating Michael Phelps and may be pressing charges.  WTF?

Here in Canada- Great Canadian athlete- Ross Rebagliati.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Well it means months in jail. He'll come out a with a thousand tattoos and a couple teeth missing.

Michel

Lil Me

LOL
 I don't imagine he will go to jail wearing a Speedo.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Michel

Lil Me

He'll be getting lots of action.

Sportsdude

He won't be able to swim again if he ever went to prison.... lol

Michel

Lise

That's Phelps. Somehow he looks better in the photo than in person.

It's funny to watch the US reaction to Phelps. He's just a human being for crying out loud. He makes mistakes like anyone else. Deal with it.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.