Breaking News: BC is in a deficit

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 02 09 01:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

"The budget process has been the most difficult that anyone can remember," Hansen said, adding three-year provincial revenue expectations have plummeted $6 billion since last September.[/p]Hansen said the deficit will be temporary, and will only last two years.[/p](lol what are they smoking there's this thing called the olympics coming)[/p]
[/p]Today's announcement signals a dramatic change in direction for Campbell, who has long insisted deficits in B.C. are both irresponsible and avoidable.[/p]"Let me be very clear, we are not going to run a deficit in the province of British Columbia," Campbell said after delivering his economic update in October.[/p]"When you talk about a deficit, or anyone talks about a deficit, they're talking about turning their back on the next generation and sending our problems forward to them," he added.[/p]The message remained even last November, when Finance Minister Colin Hansen announced provincial revenues were expected to plummet by about $3 billion over three years.[/p]"We will not be running a deficit. We will ensure that we protect the important programs. I think it is important to stress it is a manageable objective," Hansen said at the time.[/p]"I am confident we will be able to deliver a balanced budget for each of the coming years."
[/p]
[/p]At today's announcement, Hansen said the latest economic outlook for B.C. is that the province will grow at zero per cent in 2009.It is illegal to run a deficit in British Columbia, meaning Campbell will have to change the law to allow him to take the new direction.[/p](he's anointed himself a deity at this point with his paid Young BC Liberal supporters clapping for him wherever he goes...so he'll do a Bush and make it legal (literally this is what he does sad)[/p][a href="http://www.vancouversun.com/British+Columbia+will+year+deficit/1245187/story.html"]http://www.vancouversun.com/British+Columbia+will+year+deficit/1245187/story.html[/a]
[/p]
[/p]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

LOL since he was the joker who mandated the balanced budget law.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

I used to track the number of times he backtracked on a promise.  But I gave up several months after he was first elected.  No joke.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

He's the Canadian version of Rob Blagojevich. He's just better at hiding the goofy stuff better. The mistresses, the scandals,  this bizarre spectacle of having people always cheer for him to make him feel better, the public response to his drunken driving episode, the constant need for image, the way he treats vancouver island and interior is out of the Blago and Southern Illinois playbook. (Blago never left Chicago, never saw Springfield, thought that Illinois was just Chicago ward system extended... ) Blago put his name on highway signs, announced ideas that have been talked about for years and called it his own.

best yet, everyone hates him, yet for some reason he still kept getting elected.
Only thing Blago never did was purge a party of federal Liberals replace it with Reform neo-conservatives and trick people into believing that they were voting for federal Liberal type people. Blago could only dream of such a scenario where all his opposition was gone. lol

Anyway Gordon is gone after the olympics if he gets to form government again, everyone except the diehard young BC Liberal (reform kids, the one who walk around clapping for him) know this, its not a well kept secret.  So he's the king that's going to plunder the treasure and ditch to Hawaii.

Lil Me

I'm wondering why the story on Campbell's illegitimate child hasn't hit the news.  Mother was a ministerial assistant in Victoria....and it happened shortly after the drunk driving episode.  (My sources worked in prov politics at the time.)
 Who paid off who to hush this one?

Sportsdude

lol he's got illegitimate kids? It wouldn't surprise me. His wife wasn't mad at the drunken driving incident, she was mad at the young woman my age sitting in the passenger seat. He's been known to like girls my age in grad school around campus, his current girl on the side is my age apparently and he lives on campus.  

Lil Me

He's got one that I know of.

*shudders*
 The thought of having sex with Gordo is...ick.  On par with having sex with Rich Coleman. Ick.

Sportsdude

haha. It must be those glasses, his bank account and the whole power thing.  Certain girls fall for that all the time. Then when he's out of power, its the money/lifestyle and the name.

Plus, the Conservatives will be out of a leader soon, and they won't need to worry about Quebec anymore for another 100 years or so...

Sportsdude

more hilarious Gordon articles:

VANCOUVER[!-- /dateline --] — A day after acknowledging that B.C. will run deficits, Premier Gordon Campbell sought yesterday to reassert his credentials as a savvy manager of the province's troubled economy by promising that work will begin on up to $600-million in infrastructure projects within 60 to 90 days. "That's important because we have got to get this [economic] engine moving and working," the Premier told hundreds of delegates at the government-sponsored British Columbia Economic Summit.[/p] Mr. Campbell, an earnest critic of deficit spending, this week announced that B.C. would run undisclosed deficits for the next two years because it does not want to cut financing for education and health. The government is blaming the global economic downturn for the dip into the red.[/p]Mr. Ralston said Mr. Campbell is a latecomer to the necessities of deficit spending in hard times that others, including Prime Minister Stephen Harper, have already embraced. "[Mr. Campbell] arrogantly expected that it wouldn't be necessary to run a deficit," he said.[/p]Mr. Campbell shrugged off the barbs.[/p] "Frankly, we have to all get above that sort of silly season political comment. The fact of the matter is we have to change what we're doing. If the facts change, I change - as John Maynard Keynes said," the Premier said. "The facts have changed."[/p] The legislature is to be recalled next week to change the balanced-budget law that barred the province from running deficits. The budget that outlines the exact level of the deficit will be delivered on Feb. 17.[/p]-----------------------[/p]
[/p]LOL So he's a Keynesian now? I'm confused.

[a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090204.wbcdeficit04/BNStory/politics/home"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090204.wbcdeficit04/BNStory/politics/home[/a]

Lil Me

He's an evil man who can't be trusted.
 He doesn't even look human.
 I think he's a bot.

Sportsdude

he needs a new battery, this one is leaking.