exotic interesting food you have had

Started by purelife, Mar 07 08 11:22

Previous topic - Next topic
|

van_guy

Michel wrote:
Enjoy every moment of it Van Guy, hope that thick fur of yours is not too hot ! Is it rainy season now ?

I usually enjoy these things - they are pretty fun.  it is really pleasant right now 10 degress at night 15 -20 during the day.  very little rain.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

van_guy

I was having dinner at a friends house yesterday and remembered a cheese I really liked in the Gobi - cheese made from Camels milk - my friend Dashdiva's mom - makes the best camels milk cheese.  Not sure what here secret is but I have eaten camel's cheese that was ... well a little "camelish" tasting.  As you can imagine nomads in the desert don't have a lot of sophisticated cheese making equipment.  Not sure exactly how they make it.  Really it is quite sharp and leaves a pleasing taste in your mouth all day.  The fermented mare's milk is an aquired taste.

Michel

van_guy

Michel wrote:
Prehistoric cheese ! Altough we don't have any archaeological proof of it, it's very possible that Arab caravans on the move brught food with them, including camel milk contained in skin bags and that the movement on the camel mixed with the heat of the desert create cheese by accident.

Michel,
I lived in a ger for many months - there is simply no room for any kind of cooking utensils.  Save for one pot - and one stirring spoon and a knife.  I would bet you that they put camels milk in a leather pouch and leave it in the sun.  I would also bet you that the mongols have been doing it that way for the last 5,000 years. Pretty tasty stuff.

|