Advice please

Started by Sparkleface, Jan 21 09 01:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkleface

So I live in a very small, safe town in Newfoundland, but there isn't very many good colleges or schools here for what I want to get into, also not very many good paying jobs here. I found the perfect school to go to, but it's in a big city. I only just turned 20 and the thoughts of going to a big city alone freaks me out. I am worried about the crime and what not. I would love to have some advice about big citys, such as Seattle and about the crime and basic daily life. Is it a good place to live?
Oh Hai.=3

Lil Me

I think you should go out into the world and experience it yourself.  Be careful, be safe, but go!

Even if a college is in a "big city", it will have its own community.  If you live on campus or the in surrounding area, it's not such a shock.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Which big city are you planning to study at?  Vancouver?    

Sparkleface

Thanks. It is a bit exciting, but also scary because Im a pretty timid person. Yes, actually it is in Vancouver. I went on the Vancouver site to ask it...buuut I like this site better.  
Oh Hai.=3

P.C.

Do you have any family or friends here Sparkleface ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sparkleface

Not at all. Lol. I dont know anyone there....which sucks, but I'll make friends I guess.  
Oh Hai.=3

Michel

Sparkleface

Thanks. Yeah I am looking forward to meeting people. Im just worried about the crime. Where I live there's hardly any crime, people can be safe walking around at all hours, and many people often leave their doors unlocked without worrying.  
Oh Hai.=3

Michel

Sparkleface

Yeah, I wouldn't want to hang around any druggies anyways. I guess I'll feel better when I get settled in anyways.=)  
Oh Hai.=3

JJ

Are you looking a UBC, because it is like its own community.

I have known students who don't often leave campus.

Sparkleface

Actually it's a beauty school called the Blanche Macdonald Centre. It has one of the best programs for hair and make up I've ever seen. Very advanced. Buuut, I am unsure now after reading some bad things some people posted about on the net....I am so confuzed. I need a high teck corse thats not only coloring and cutting but also wigs and weaves. I want the best corse so that I can branch out and do my own thing, perhaps own my own spa or maybe work on movie sets or fashion shows. I dont wanna be stuck in a barly over minimum wage pay, in some boring salon. -sigh- But they don't have dorms and I am unsure about the school. My mom really don't want me to go and I just don't know. Does anyone know about this school or know of any really good beauty schools?  
Oh Hai.=3

P.C.

Sparkle, I don't know anything about that particular school.....but I'm fairly certain, that all schools of that type have the same standard of requirements to become licensed.  From there, you can go as far as your creativity and ambition can take you.  I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you will learn anything different here than you would there.  Have you looked into that at all?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

JJ

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; lineh-eight: normal"][SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA; 12pt: "]My daughter was accepted in the Fashion design program at Blanche McDonald  several years ago.  Their fashion program was advanced and had good things going for it but in the end she thought she would rather spend the time and get a degree at a university.  I really can't say anything bad about Blanche McDonald and the one person that I know went their was a very talented individual.[/SPAN]

Sparkleface

PC- Well, Im still looking into some things. I find it hard though, there are so many to try and pick from and almost all of them are away. I hope I can find a closer school actually. The biggest problem where it's so far away is that my mom cant go to settle me in, I have never been outside Newfoundland before and I would have to fly  far away by myself and then if there's a problem with my student loan or housing or anything Im stuck there. I dont know where I would stay up there yet, I would want to find a place with some room mates so I wouldn't by alone but...I don't know.

JJ- Well at least it's not a negative experience. If I go there I cant leave though, I would save to save up and borrow a large student loan, so then I would need to finish my course and get a job.

Oh Hai.=3