The Inauguration

Started by P.C., Jan 20 09 08:44

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

This is ultimately the most exciting thing ever.  I am surprised to have found myself inexplicably on the edge of tears several times while watching this historical event.  It all just feels so powerful.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

Agreed!  He is so moving, so captivating, so strong.....

I'm listening to it right now through the live stream from yahoo. :)

P.C.

He was just pronounced the President of the United States 5 minutes ago, even though he had not taken the oath yet. (which he is just doing RIGHT NOW)  

P.C.

So composed.  So calm, cool and collected.

purelife

Ooo...He's talking!!!  Look at all the people!  Amazing...

I'm feeling chills and shivers inside....  

Gopher

Yes, this has been great - powerful, moving, memorable, I feel on top of the world that I actually saw it happen  as it was taking place (albeit on TV)  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lil Me

In case anyone missed CBC Radio2's listener-derived playlist for Obama- 49 songs from north of the 49th parallel:
 [a href="http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/obamasplaylist/"]http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/obamasplaylist/[/a]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

I have a cynical law student for a roommate so it was more lets make fun of this for the hour. lol
The speech was rather flat, I'll remember the flubbing of the swearing in, the annoyance of the realization that the country is run officially like a church service.  During Aretha Franklin's Let Freedom Ring at the end NBC was flipping around the country and its suppose to be a reflective/serious mood, and some stupid teenager in NYC screamed at the camera for being on television. embarrassing/disgraceful.

I've grown tired of the 'American Dream' talk which unfortunately will never leave as long as I'm breathing and however long the country goes on. lol But that's the 'spirit' of America or so we've been drilled into us since first grade, so I don't really know if it is or not. We'd be better off with a unified collective view on ourselves which would lead to real individualism, now if Obama talked like that, that'd be something.

I always like the handing of the guard if you will when the old president gets on the helicopter. Reminds me of a story about an island where you leave never to return and people wave, you move on into the sunset, the new leader takes over and rebuilds sort a thing.  Plus ever since Nixon and the peace signs of arrogance that process has always been a treat to experience/reflect. Cheney had to be wheeled out in a wheel chair, I guess his nuclear battery was running low, a steady diet of blood and bullets can't be good for ya lol.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I an not American, yet I found it very moving.  The flubbed swearing in was handled well...probably because of Obama's dignified non-reaction to it.  It was the flub of the Chief Justice....not Obama's.  He is a composed speaker...likely a result of knowing what he wants to say.... he speaks from his head and his heart rather than from index cards.    

That being said, why Aretha Franklin chose to put an extended syllable pause in  'count....try' is beyond me.

49er

P.C. wrote:
 .......  The flubbed swearing in was handled well...probably because of Obama's dignified non-reaction to it.  It was the flub of the Chief Justice....not Obama's.  

If people were expecting a Bush moment, they sure were disappointed.[/DIV]

Lise

Does anyone have a link that shows Obama's inauguration?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

49er

[A href="http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=11631215&ch=4226713&src=news"]http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=11631215&ch=4226713&src=news[/A]

Gopher

I am still over the moon about the whole thing.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Orik

i am just wondering now that he is inpower.... how long till the Hitler youth programs take place... um i mean the obama youth initiative.. and enforced service for all American citizens from 18 to 25... a draft that is not a draft something that is compulsory ...... hmmm i would be very afraid ...very very afraid... and let the brain washing begin...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Sportsdude

We already had that under Bush, see the movie 'Jesus Camp'.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."