1 in 200 kids are vegetarians

Started by Sportsdude, Jan 12 09 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28543713/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28543713/[/a]

Sam Silverman is co-captain of his high school football team — a safety accustomed to bruising collisions. But that's nothing compared with the abuse he gets for being a vegetarian.[p class="textBodyBlack"][span id="byLine"][/span]"I get a lot of flak for it in the locker room," said the 16-year-old junior at Westborough High School in Massachusetts.[/p][p class="textBodyBlack"][span id="byLine"][/span]"All the time, my friends try to get me to eat meat and tell me how good it tastes and how much bigger I would be," said Silverman, who is 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds. "But for me, there's no real temptation."[/p][p class="textBodyBlack"]Silverman may feel like a vegetable vendor at a butchers' convention, but about 367,000 other kids are in the same boat, according to a recent study that provides the government's first estimate of how many children avoid meat. That's about 1 in 200.[/p][p class="textBodyBlack"][span id="byLine"][/span]Other surveys suggest the rate could be four to six times that among older teens who have more control over what they eat than young children do.[/p][p class="textBodyBlack"]---------[/p][p class="textBodyBlack"]Feel for that kid, veggie and a football player.
[/p]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

He wouldn't be "unusual" on the Left Coast.  Lots of kids are vegetarian.    
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

I am constantly thinking of  turning vegetarian (or at least sticking solely to fish), however the moment I smell bacon all my good intentions fly through the window.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Maybe you could be a part time vegetarian, Gophie. :)

Orik

i wonder if they can make a good vegetarian alternative to corned beef hash...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

Gophie wrote:  I am constantly thinking of  turning vegetarian (or at least sticking solely to fish), however the moment I smell bacon all my good intentions fly through the window.

[img id=karmaImage onclick=captured(); height=72 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/pig_l.gif" width=68 border=0 name=karmaImage]  <<< I'm sure this doesn't help with visions of bacon flying through the window.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

What exactly is meant by 'corned' ,and why are no other items of food apparently subject to this process?  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lil Me

I think the "corned" is salt, smoke and pickling spice.
 It's a British word.

I think its process is similar to that of the pastramis and briskets.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Orik wrote:
i wonder if they can make a good vegetarian alternative to corned beef hash...
 --
 I eat tofu scramble.
 Sliced onions, peppers, whetever veggies are around mixed with some tofu and a bit of sauce or spice.
 Basically a breakfast stirfry.

Lil Me

Gopher wrote:
I am constantly thinking of  turning vegetarian (or at least sticking solely to fish), however the moment I smell bacon all my good intentions fly through the window.  
 --
 Nothing wrong with being a fish/bacon otherwise-vegetarian.  Pick your favourite day of the week and consider that Bacon Day!

Orik

lol corned beef is a beef brisket that is cured.... corned beef brisket is good... but the salt content  in 1 cup will give u close to your daily intake of sodium. so it is a rare treat for some folks...

corned beef hash

Ingredients:

* 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
    * 2 cups cooked corned beef, finely chopped
    * 3 cups cooked, chopped potatoes
    * 1/4 cup minced onion
    * 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, optional
    * 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, optiona
    * salt, pepper and brown gravy

Preparation:
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add corned beef, potatoes, and minced onion; spread evenly in the skillet. Brown on one side; turn with a spatula and brown the other side. Continue turning until most of the meat and potatoes are well-browned. Drain off excess fat and moisten with 3 or 4 tablespoons of brown gravy or beef gravy. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef"]Corned_beef[/a]

In the U.S. and Canada, Corned beef has two meanings. One refers to a cut of beef (usually brisket, but sometimes round or silverside) cured or pickled in a seasoned brine. The other use of the term refers to a tinned product generally found with canned goods on supermarket shelves (see U.K. and German corned beef, below.)

The "corn" in "corned beef" refers to the "corns" or grains of coarse salts used to cure it. The Oxford English Dictionary dates the usage of "corn," meaning "small hard particle, a grain, as of sand or salt," to 888, and the term "corned beef" to 1621.[1] The term "corned beef" can denote different styles of brine-cured beef, depending on the region. Traditional corned beef is highly seasoned and often considered delicatessen fare.[citation needed]
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Lil Me

Thanks for the info Orik.

I have a cousin who LOVES the corned beef hash in a can.  He hasn't been able to find it in Canada lately though.

Lazy Orik

it is much cheaper to make you own. buying canned corn beef hash is very expensive you can buy them for 2 to 4 dollars a can for the small brand names and for a large one  

the chef-mate from superstore or Costco can cost 14 to 20 dollars. the large can from Costco will make 24 servings and corned beef hash freezes well just add some onions green peppers and some more potatoes at home to the mix adn fry away... then add ur eggs for a nice breakfest...

i do recomend making your own though . much more affordable and much much tastier...

just my 2 cents... back to the lazy boy tv shows... and down loading the legend of the seeker... based on terry goodkinds wizard of truth novels is a tv series i missed cause i was in hospital thank good ness for torrent sites

P.C.

There's corned beef hash in a can ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Actuallly, if a vegetarian diet is super healthy so long as you keep up with the in-take of protein. Viva la beans.

I try a veggie day every so often. Tofu is your best friend when it comes to filling up. Never can live without tofu.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.