OMG Have a look Russ

Started by P.C., Jan 04 09 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Oy, this is too much.  I got sea sick just watching this.  

[A href="http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=false"]http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=false[/A]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

Rats...it's one of those links that only takes you to the site, but doesn't show the same video each time.  It was a video of a fishing boat becoming airborn in rough seas in Iceland.  I'll try this one.

[A href="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=82f_1231033666"]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=82f_1231033666[/A]

Orik

wow that's cool and to think my dad used to sail in seas as rough or rougher at times.. for most of the year. usually got shore leave every few months for a short time before they were back out.. insanity... but i could do it... and i'd love every minute of it wonder if the pay is worth it... and what they pay for a minimum experienced deck hand... i am assuming sea cadet training is worthless...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Russ

LOL, thanks PC! I do like to look at things like that..

My mother however hates things like that. She couldnt watch that movie, 'a perfect storm' or whatever it was.

Orik.. depends on where you work, but deckhands are usually fairly well paid here in canada. Overseas you wouldnt be paid that much cause you are fighting getting work from philipino's, croatians, portugese, and other cheap labour.

You have to have a bunch of training however. First aid, fire fighting, safety at sea, etc.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Orik

got fire fighting through hmcs quadra and esquimault held my standard first aid and my ofa... have had safety at sea training. worked for 6 weeks at sea, aboard 3 different vessels the seawave  big old tugboat and hmcs maple leaf 3 masted schooner...

i think the 100 footer was hmcs laurier2 but i forget this vessels exact name i spent most of my 2 weeks abourd bed ridden with the flu.. i passed out at the helm with a high fever. thought they were gona call in a chopper for me like they did for the ships nurse...

she was medivaced after she was stung on the throat. what are the odd's you know... but no such luck... did man over board drills. fire fighting.  including the use of the oxygen sets... i  frogot their names for the self enclosed apartus used in fire fighting...  standing watch helms training ... if you ever took any of the bosons courses then you know some of the training ...

night watch, fathom checks, report writing map reading. uhf vhf radio monitoring.  how to find a electrical short, engine monitoring for oil, fuel pressure, the basic night ships watch for when at sea and at dock side how to tie off at a pier... primary and secondary steering training for the odd chance the primary fails...  and other training..

plus had some real life hands on sea rescue experience  when one of the vessels ran aground after a primary and secondary steering failure... combined with full engine failure and mechanical failure on the anchors preventing their being dropped..

yes russ i have training and some experience. but my training is 15 plus years ago.. and probably not vaible or even that useful today...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Russ

Hey Orik.

Um, lol, yeah I have the same training and while it is GOOD.. its more in depth than the equivalent in the civilian side.. its not accepted as some of the concepts and what they use is different than is accepted internationally. Alot of the night watches and stuff is very different, but the other is very good training. I found it helpful.
I was on the seagrave as well for a bit, lol. As well as the Teakerne Navigator. Memories hey?

Its super tough right now to get in, its easier for ticketed engineers and deck, but its still slow.

I had to redo my first aid adn medicals every two years.. and they are VERY tough on medicals now, from when I first started doing them. Transport Canada really clamped down on certain previously allowed conditions, and many older seafarers here on the coast were encouraged to 'retire' or were let go.

OK, gotta run here bud.. sorry to cut this short. Ill add more later.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Orik

i look forward to reading more and learning more. anyways back to watching bonds new movie on the telly

P.C.

Russ wrote: LOL, thanks PC! I do like to look at things like that..

My mother however hates things like that. She couldnt watch that movie, 'a perfect storm' or whatever it was.

Me too Russ.  I've been in some pretty nasty swells up in the Charlottes, but nothing like that.

Yes....moms don't want to envision their children in that kind of crazy danger.