Need heatproof glue

Started by Lil Me, Nov 30 08 03:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

Would like to resurrect the plastic housing for my popcorn maker (broke in 2 after 20+ years).  What kind of glue can I use?  Note: the section being glued won't actually make contact with food, but will get hot.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Orik

using a hot glue from a glue gun ? or a very strong heat resistant epoxy glue ie jb weld

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

I've been down in the shop, looking for a glue that I used to use for glass called Goop.  It doesn't say whether it is heat resistant or not.  There is a Marine Goop too, that is good for plastic....but again ? on heat resistant.

There is also Gorilla Glue....which is definitely heat resistant, but I don't know if it works on plastic.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

OK....I just googled Gorilla Glue, and it does work on plastic.  Sounds like it might be what you're looking for Lil Me.

Orik

[h1]Creative Uses for J-B WELD Cold Weld Products[/h1]                    [div class="prodimg"]             [img class="scaled" src="http://jbweld.net/img/prod_animate.gif" title="Animation showing J-B Weld products" alt="Animation showing J-B Weld products"]          [/div]          [h2]Use [a href="http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php"]J-B WELD[/a] for:[/h2]          [h3]YOUR HOME[/h3]          [ul][li]hot & cold pipes[/li][li]appliances[/li][li]tools[/li][li]toys, hobbies & crafts[/li][li]guns[/li][li]lighting fixtures[/li][li]bikes[/li][li]lawnmowers[/li][li]fences[/li][li]furniture[/li][li]luggage[/li][li]sporting goods[/li][li]ceramic tile[/li][li]water & fuel cans, tanks, and tubs[/li][/ul]          [div id="rightcol"]                             "The rock in our yard would have made a nightmare out of digging post holes for a fence, so we                used J-B WELD to bond wooden posts upright to an existing sidewalk. J-B WELD gave us a strong                fence, saved hundreds of dollars, and many extra hours of hard labor!"             [/p]             
                            "I own a dragster. During a competition, the cylinder head cracked. I didn't have time to                repair or replace it, so I filled the crack with J-B WELD. Well, I made my time trials, and                took second place! The head still works great, and I'm not going to order a new one."             [/p]             
                            "My motorcycle had a gas tank leak. The dealer said it couldn't be fixed, and I'd have to get a                new tank. A hardware store told me about J-B WELD -- and it did the trick! For a $4 investment,                I saved $325. J-B WELD is not a gimmick product -- it is one that works!"             [/p]             
                            "I'm a welder by trade but find J-B WELD works better and easier on many jobs, like fixing the                neck on my truck radiator. I wish other people knew how much J-B WELD could save them!"             [/p]             
                            "I believe in fixing things rather than buying replacements. I repaired a shower rod and a                flywheel and clutch on my old chain saw in a few minutes with J-B WELD. Thanks for a product I                can count on!"             [/p]             
                            "My pickup threw a rod and tore a hole in the block. I plugged the hole with large washers                bolted together and sealed it with J-B WELD. That was over 50,000 miles ago; still with no                loss of oil. Thanks for a remarkable product!"             [/p]             
                            "J-B WELD saved our fishing trip. Our trailer had punched two holes through the hull of our                boat. No welder was available, and we were about to go home when a mechanic gave us some                J-B WELD. It completely cured the problem -- not one leak in 12 days!"             [/p]             
                            "I've tried practically every 'repair kit' on the market. For radiators, gas tanks, water                pumps, mufflers, etc., J-B WELD is without a doubt the best. Anyone who uses it will be just                as amazed as I was. You have no competition."             [/p]             
                            "I was heartsick when the hooks on my mahogany hall tree broke off during a move. It had been                in my family for generations. Everyone told me the broken metal could not be repaired because                it is zinc, and nothing will repair zinc. When I went to the hardware store to find replacement                hooks that matched the originals, they recommended J-B WELD. I made the repair myself, and it                is not only impossible to tell it was ever damaged; it was even sturdy enough to stand up to                my son swinging on the hooks! Thank you for a product that allowed me to restore this priceless                heirloom!"             [/p]             
            [p class="centitalicred"]                Every home and shop can save time, work, and money with J-B WELD products. Keep them handy for                maintenance, repairs, and emergencies!             [/p]             [p class="centitalicred"]                Every tool box and glove compartment in America should include J-B WELD. It's a "must" for                incredibly durable and long-lasting spot repairs.             [/p]          [/div]          [h3]AUTOS, MOTORCYCLES, MECHANICAL[/h3]          [ul][li]fuel tanks[/li][li]radiators[/li][li]cracked engine blocks[/li][li]transmission & rear-end casings[/li][li]cylinder heads & sleeves[/li][li]generators, starters, water & fuel pumps[/li][li]axles & hubs[/li][li]valve guides[/li][li]press fit bearings[/li][li]crankshaft pulleys[/li][li]casting defects[/li][li]door stops[/li][li]key ways[/li][li]stripped threads[/li][li]body shop repair[/li][/ul]  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Lil Me

Awesome ideas.  Thanks Orik and P.C.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Orik

ur welcome and much luck to u. let us know how it turns out

Lil Me

I like my hot air popper.  A relative gave it to me back in the '80s.  I lost the metal butter cup years ago.  It's been replaced by a piece of tinfoil which keeps the popcorn from flying up

P.C.

They really did make great popcorn.  If all else fails, there are also a ton of hot air poppers at the thrift stores these days....with the microwave popcorn being popular.

Lise

LM, did you find your glue yet?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Actually, MrLM will be back this week, and said he'd deal with it.  I added it to his "list".  Actually, he quite enjoys MacGyvering.