Advice- Xmas on the Cheap

Started by Lil Me, Nov 28 08 02:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

Hey, I'm posting this as I'm generating ideas to help my friend.

She wants to make a "nice" Christmas (not expensive) for her two young kids.  Hubby is against the whole thing because he's not into celebrating- he's not a very joyful person...even though they could afford to buy some nice gifts.  Anyways, she's looking for ways to stretch $30 per kid into a pile of gifts under the tree.

They don't have other relatives close by, so all the gifts they are going to receive will come from mom and dad.

She's going to the Dollar Store, and I'm going to take her to Michaels (for the $1-$2 craft kits)  and the mall.

I've suggested that she buy some "essentials"- toiletries, regular clothing items, etc. (that she normally buys for her kids) and wrap them up as gifts.

What else?

Wrap each gift in a BIG box?

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

What age group are the kids, Lil Me ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Boy is about 4.  Girl is about 7.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

OK...what about some homemade playdough.  2 cups of flour and a couple other basic ingredients with make enough for 4 colours.  (you can use unsweetened Koolaid for colour)  Cheap.  Some dollar store cookie cutters to go with.

I'll put my thinking cap on...I used to be pretty good at that stuff.....lol

P.C.

She could also host one of those little get-togethers with half a dozen friends.  Each person brings 5 or 6 items that their kids no longer use, or wear.  (only requirement being, that they be in impeccable condition)....everything is put on the table, and each person goes home with 5 or 6 'exchanged' items.  It's a nice social with some wine or tea....everbody has something different....and no money changes hands.

Lil Me

Thanks, P.C.
 *bows to the mistress of creativity and frugality*

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
Hey, I'm posting this as I'm generating ideas to help my friend.

She wants to make a "nice" Christmas (not expensive) for her two young kids.  Hubby is against the whole thing because he's not into celebrating- he's not a very joyful person...even though they could afford to buy some nice gifts.  Anyways, she's looking for ways to stretch $30 per kid into a pile of gifts under the tree.

They don't have other relatives close by, so all the gifts they are going to receive will come from mom and dad.

She's going to the Dollar Store, and I'm going to take her to Michaels (for the $1-$2 craft kits)  and the mall.

I've suggested that she buy some "essentials"- toiletries, regular clothing items, etc. (that she normally buys for her kids) and wrap them up as gifts.

What else?

Wrap each gift in a BIG box?

My parents didnt have much with us. She used to go to the menonite stores.. before the big value village opened up.

We used to get homemade playdoe.. as well as woodworking stuff, knives, and paint.

Clothes were something we would get alot of.

We would get stockings with lots of 'stocking stuffers' like oranges and chocolates, gummy bears, etc.

Some  gifts would be broken up into two or more gifts instead of just one.. like when I got shockwave with all the little robots that were shaped like mini cassettes.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Another one, which would only work if she has some kind of graphics program on her computer.  (or a friend who does)  Some of the software that comes with a digital camera might do the trick as well.

You can bring up a family pic on the computer of your....dog....house...yard...whatever, then on some graphics programs, you can select an option called 'Edge Detect'...or 'Find Edges'.  What will happen, is you end up with a black and white drawing exactly like a colouring book.  Print off some of those, and you have a personalized colouring book.  Take pics of their bikes, favourite toys....gramma and gramps etc.  

P.C.

Ooo Ooo.....and for the girl, Dollar Giant has an INCREDIBLE selection of beads.  Kiddie beads and seed beads and some really nice glass beads....packs of coloured bead wire.  All little girls like making bracelets and necklaces.  (I was quite surprised at the beads they offer for a buck.  The exact same beads are $3.49 to $5.49 at Michaels)

Michel

P.C.

Why Michel.....whatEVER do you mean ?   [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c018.gif[/img]  Oh by the way....Walmart has your clockworks in a selection of sizes for $7.49.  

I don't like Michaels.  

As a matter of fact, I don't like any giant store that is full of stuff from wall to wall, floor to ceiling....yet they don't carry the basics.  I also don't like a store where they don't know their products or aren't able to assist with any useful information....yet are quick to tell you, your plan won't work.  Blaahhhhhhhh    

Michel

P.C.

Michel

Lil Me

Is there any caulk?