Water Marks on Ceiling

Started by Lise, Nov 22 08 08:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

Lise

Update: OMG. The worst is over.... turns out the leak was due to the sealant in the skylight so you guys were right. I thought the price would be far, far greater but it's not too bad. Right?

[P class=EC_MsoNormal][FONT face=Arial size=3][SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt"]Estimate re:  Roof repair work at above address[/SPAN][/FONT]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal][SPAN lang=EN-GB][SPAN style="TEXT-DECORATION: none"][/SPAN][/SPAN]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal][FONT face=Arial size=3][SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt"]We are pleased to offer you the following quotation.[/SPAN][/FONT]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal][SPAN lang=EN-GB][/SPAN]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in"][FONT face=Symbol size=3][SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol"][SPAN]·[FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1][SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"]        [/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT][SPAN lang=EN-GB]Remove organic debris from around B vent flashing and skylight.[/SPAN]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in"][FONT face=Symbol size=3][SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol"][SPAN]·[FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1][SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"]        [/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT][SPAN lang=EN-GB]Remove tiles around skylight and B vent flashing.[/SPAN]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in"][FONT face=Symbol size=3][SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol"][SPAN]·[FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1][SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"]        [/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT][SPAN lang=EN-GB]Clean, adjust and reseal flashings around B vent and skylight.[/SPAN]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in"][FONT face=Symbol size=3][SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Symbol"][SPAN]·[FONT face="Times New Roman" size=1][SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"]        [/SPAN][/FONT][/SPAN][/SPAN][/FONT][SPAN lang=EN-GB]Re install tiles.[/SPAN]

[P class=EC_MsoNormal style="MARGIN-LEFT: 2.5in"][FONT face=Arial size=3][SPAN lang=EN-GB style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt"]Cost:  $ 907.03  plus GST[/SPAN][/FONT]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Lise

Well.... how else can they get to the area? And yes, of course, it's pumping up the price but what else can I do?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

49er

I agree with Michel........removing the roof tiles will probably cause more damage.  Since tiles are rigid and they overlap, it is close to impossible to remove and reinstall the lower tiles without damaging the ones above.  The tiles are nailed at preformed holes at the top of each tile.

I would have just clean out the flashing and apply a coat of roofing mastic around the flashing to seal and pay the roofer for two hours of his time.

P.C.

Isn't the flashing installed underneath the tiles ???  That's how I would visualize it.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

P.C. wrote:
Isn't the flashing installed underneath the tiles ???  That's how I would visualize it. [/DIV]
 Yes, so that portion under tiles shouldn't be leaking or have water on it......actually it's under the roofing felt also.

A layer of mastic over the exposed portion of the flashing should seal all the seams and the souces of the leak

P.C.

I see.  I was thinking that if the seal is broken around the flashing....it doesn't necessarily mean it's broken on the exposed area.  It could be under the tiles.  No ?

49er

Even if the flashing seal is broken under the tile.....water should run off the last row of tile onto the exposed flashing.  If water is getting underneath the tile, Lise has another problem

P.C.

I sure hope not.  But a repair under a grand is cheap compared to what could need repairs if not done asap.

Lise

P.C. wrote:
I sure hope not.  But a repair under a grand is cheap compared to what could need repairs if not done asap.[/DIV]
   That's the same thought I was having!  Well, no time now but I'm going to call the guy up and have him come over next week. Hopefully it won't be too wet for him.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

P.C.

That's the same thought I was having!  Well, no time now but I'm going to call the guy up and have him come over next week. Hopefully it won't be too wet for him.

Whoa !  I would consider getting another quote Lise.  When I said it's cheap compared to what it could be if you waited, doesn't mean I think that  $907 was necessarily a good price.  There's no way to know that unless you get another opinion or even two.  I sure wouldn't jump on the first quote if it was something for which I had no gage.  

49er and Michel are right.....it could be a really simple problem.....in which case $900 would be an expensive fix.  If climbing up there yourself is pointless, because you don't know what you're looking for....then at least call a couple more places for quotes.[/DIV]

Van

Another note. If no leak is to be found, it could just be condensation build up in your attic? I seen this before. All you would need then is another vent, or whirly-bird vent and to dry the water up, and bleach the ceiling. That would cost a fraction of what they want to charge you. It is worth a look.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

|