Water Marks on Ceiling

Started by Lise, Nov 22 08 08:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

K.... I just noticed some round water marks on the ceiling. Probably due to last night's stormy weather. What should (or can) I do? What caused it? Like a leak in the roof?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I'm guessing a leak Lise.  You need to find the source of your leak and have it repaired as soon as possible.  We left ours too long and ended up with more damage to repair than necessary.

You need to check your attic, to see what's going on up there.  There could be more damage than the little rings on the ceiling....and mould could be a serious problem.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

stretchedout

Watch out for the rat droppings up there!  Remember the WV teacher?
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

P.C.

I remember my ex-inlaws having a problem with an ever expanding stain on their ceiling.  Roof was new...and they were assured there was no leak.  Turns out there was a massive....and I mean massive wasps nest in the attic.  After the wasps were sent to wasp heaven....the exterminators actually had to cut the nest to remove it in pieces small enough to clear the attic opening.  Yes...the men could fit through it....but it had to come out in 3 pieces.  It also explained why the pool guy could never fix the hum in the pool pump that was located just outside that end of the house.

I digress.  I'm suggesting a leak, as it usually takes a combination of rain and wind to expose the weak spots.  

Michel

Lise

Yikes!! Scary story there, PC. And yes, I'll have to get someone to look into it as soon as possible. The water marks are concentrated around the skylight area... I'm wondering if there's a leak around the window area.

Wasps? I'm scared..... we've had incidents where wasps kept coming into the house even though our house has nets all over the place. We've called the exterminators but they've found nothing to date but PC's story certainly has me thinking.

Either way - it's gonna cost big bucks to fix.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

49er

a lot depends on the type of roof and the shealthing of the house.  Water could be traveling downslope under the roofing and breaking at the skylight

Michel

Marik

uh oh...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009KA2UO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/a]

Lise, do you have any little kids around where you live? lol

Lise

Oh, I just hope it's just the caulking problem but a big part of me thinks it's otherwise. At any rate, no way we can reach the ceiling and start the caulking process on our own. When it comes to home repair, we're so darn inept.

We've got the number for a roof repair person to come in. Will update everyone on what's happening. Pray for me that the problem will be relatively minor therefore less costly.

Marik: funny man. Where I come from, children rule the house.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Lise

It would be nice to send him out for repairs.... but have you met my husband? He can't even screw on a lightbulb. I have to do everything at home. Fix the door, figure out the electrical system, caulking in bathroom......*sigh* But this one problem is beyond my means.

Who do you suggest I call? Michel, are you volunteering?
Bill Cosby.

Michel

P.C.

As Lil Me would say.....Why oh why............  

Do you have a shingle roof Lise ?  If so....how old is it ?   Sometimes, even if it's not old,  wind can drive rain backwards up the slope...underneath any parts of the shingles where the tar may have broken the seal or have spaces.  A little can of tar may be all you need.