? Disconnect individual keys on keyboard

Started by Russ, Nov 11 08 12:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Anybody know how to disconnect keys on the keyboard so the computer ignores them if they are hit?

I would prefer not to rip them off my keyboard or encourage them with a hammer and chisel, but it might come to that.

I want to remove/ disconnect the four up - down, left - right cursor keys on my keyboard, which happen to be right below my shift key. So when I hit the shift key when Im typing fast, the left or up button are sometimes hit at teh same time.. sometimes instantaneously selecting and deleting entire paragraphs adn sentences, making it a frustrating experience to post from my laptop.

If it makes a difference I am using an HP Pavilion dv9700 notebook pc. AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile TL60
NOTE:  I always used Toshiba's in the past. My brother and I went for HP at the same time because it seemed to have all the neat bells and whistles. We will never again buy HP.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Not sure if this will work, but try hitting the Scroll Lock key.  I think this locks the arrows.

Lise

C'mon, use the hammer, Russ! USE IT! USE IT! USE IT!!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

purelife wrote:
Not sure if this will work, but try hitting the [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]Scroll Lock[/span] key.  I think this locks the arrows.

That works on the keypad i have beside the keys.. i have a full size keypad as well as the four up down left right keys.

Its the four up down left right keys i despise.

Lise: LOL, I dont think i will but it seems everytime it happens to me it gets me madder and madder, lol.
Im getting to the point it will either be remove the keys from the keyboard or buy a better laptop. This laptop is six months old.

Lil Me

How about plugging in a full-size keyboard when you're at home?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Hey LM!
I have an external usb keyboard.. its such a pain to use while watching tv balancing your laptop on your lap.

<sigh> Ill keep searching the net.

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far!

Lil Me

lol.  Make a solid tent cover (carboard?) to fit over the "problem" keys.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Lil Me wrote:
lol.  Make a solid tent cover (carboard?) to fit over the "problem" keys.  

ADD: don't ask Michel for help unless you want to go shopping for parts 3 times after he breaks them.

Lil Me

and don't let him repair the damage with organic glue.  

P.C.

Hey Russ  

There are a few different ways to disable certain keys on your keyboard.  I don't know any of them.   BUT, a friend had the same problem, and fixed it.   I will ask what they did.

There is also downloadable stuff to remap your keys.

[A href="http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/disable_keyboard_software/"]http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/downloads/disable_keyboard_software/[/A]  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

I've an idea.............get your caulking gun out and caulk around the buttons

Lil Me

Why oh why does everything always have to be about caulk?  

49er

Lil Me wrote:
Why oh why does everything always have to be about caulk?  
    You not one of those that has caulk envy, are you?