Tough Love: Brandon Crisp

Started by Lise, Nov 07 08 05:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Did anyone catch the news about the tragic event leading to Brandon Crisp's death? He's a 15 year old teen who argued with his parents about an XBox game. His parents banned him from a game because he was spending too much time on it and he ran away. 3 weeks later his body was found in a remote farm area.

I can only imagine what his parents must feel. On one hand, what they did... I feel was right. If my child was spending too much time on the internet or video game then something needs to be done. But I could never allow my child to leave the house. However, I have not lived with Brandon nor could I know what type of teen he is.

It's a sad situation. Tough love. Maybe gone too far? *sigh*

Anyways, if you're interested, you can read about the story [A href="http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/national/story.html?id=937920"]here[/A].
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days.

As teenagers, we argued with our parents and stormed out of the house.  I think that's just teenager-ish behaviour.  Fortunately, we came back home alive...usually after a couple hours of walking around or going to a friend's house.  By morning, everything was pretty much back to normal.  In my house, anyways...

Parents have a duty to uphold their rules, if they believe the rules to be in the best interests of the youth.

I'm curious as to what caused the death of young Brendon.  Did he succumb to the elements?  Or did he commit suicide?

If it was suicide, that leads to the thought that "video game addiction" is sometimes the outward symptom of a greater depression.  Especially if the person appears to have no other interests, no friends, and lack of success in life.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

You took the words right out of my mouth Lil Me.  I too am curious if this was a suicide.  Although there is no doubt in my mind, that obsessive game playing can't be healthy...there really had to be a deeper problem.  Mentally healthy people don't kill themselves over the loss of a game.

As for 'tough love gone too far' ?  I don't think so at all....however I think it needed to be used before his every waking hour was spent on the computer.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

It IS Sad. However you are right in the fact of the video game. I would do the same.

I intend to raise whatever children starfishie and I are lucky enough to have the way I was. No video games till highschool, and tv only on weeknights if its news or educational unless you have done your homework and then only limited. Cartoons galore on saturdays for a few hours in the morning. That being said.. subject to change.

I was kicked outside alot and left in the yard. I would play with teh neighborhood kids in the alley nearby, but had to stay within earshot and make sure if i was out of the yard my mother knew where I was. Maybe thats what happened? They thought he went outside to sulk and then left on his own?

Regardless, I feel very sorry for them.

EDIT: Dammit. I was posting before the two of you posted so my post seems out of context now. Im a slow typer (or is that thinker?)

My family was the same as what LM describes. Fight, go away and everythings ok later.

I too am very interested if it was suicide. Too little too late possibly. Sad

This REALLY has me thinking about how it was for me
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I hope they get some answers.  And for their own piece of mind, I hope it was not a suicide.  The alternatives will be no more pleasant to swallow, but it may help a wee bit with the tremendous guilt they must be feeling.

Sportsdude

I didn't have tv in my room until half way through high school. Listened to the radio. Didn't cable til high school.
Only got games at birthday and christmas. Only played the games on the weekend on saturday nights listening to the hockey game on the radio, while playing a hockey game. lol

I'd get mad walk to the corner then come back. Nowhere to go really no family within a 2hr radius by car. lol

surprised the teen didn't have a cell phone, I did at that age but I was driving 60 miles a day already.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I know that the times are changing....but some things remain the same.  There is no way there would be TV or computers in a kids bedroom.  I don't even think they are good for adults to have in a bedroom (although I admit to having one).

I have a friend who thinks she's really putting her foot down when she sends her kids to their rooms for misbehaving.  I always say....Yea....that'll teach them...TV, computer, games system, karaoke.  The poor things must feel horrible.

Sportsdude

yeah computer has always been in the library.
But now schools are requiring kids with laptops, but that's high school.

lol only time I ever had a computer in my room was in the summer those old apple computers the ones without a mouse would come home from school. lol

or a tv when I was bed ridden for a month after just getting out of hospital. haha

then I got better and the tv went into the living room. lol

Gopher

I can remember not having an electrical supply until I was in my late teens
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Yipes Gophie.  Did you know Edison ?

add:  That was mean and nasty....   Sorry Gophie.  I was trying to be funny....then I realized it wasn't.  

Gopher

No, but I knew the oil lamp and its stink by which I used to do my homework.

P.C.

Well as far as the 'excuse' that kids need computers in their rooms for homework....I think that contributes to the disconnect between parents and their kids.  Homework should be done in a 'common area'.....and it goes without saying, that computer time should also be in a common area.  To me, entertainment rooms should be for entertainment, bedrooms for sleeping and dressing, dining rooms for dining, and kitchens for food.  It's the blending of everything, that defines nothing.

Sportsdude

oh dear P.C. what if somebody lived in a studio? lol

Gopher

What if the household were too refined to have anywhere that could be called common?  

P.C.

oh dear P.C. what if somebody lived in a studio? lol

I guess I would wonder why somebody would try to bring up kids in a studio.