Get Out and Vote!!!!

Started by Future Canadian, Nov 04 08 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Future Canadian

Hi again all!

I know you've all heard it to death by now but... all Yanks need to make sure to cast a ballot today!!!!

The republican nasties will be out in force rigging vote machines, challenging voters, etc. We need to simply overwhelm them with numbers!

And If you're not doing anything else get out and volunteer. I'm volunteering for Obama today and, frankly, I'm scared stupid 'cuz I hate to actually talk to people. But it must be done!

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

stretchedout

Future Canadian wrote:
Hi again all!

I know you've all heard it to death by now but... all Yanks need to make sure to cast a ballot today!!!!

The republican nasties will be out in force rigging vote machines, challenging voters, etc. We need to simply overwhelm them with numbers!

And If you're not doing anything else get out and volunteer. I'm volunteering for Obama today and, frankly, I'm scared stupid 'cuz I hate to actually talk to people. But it must be done!

-----------------------------------------------

Do people really think the machine called Washington (a rigid bureaucracy with hundreds of thousands of employees) changes much just because of who 1/2 the population votes in as figure head?  
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

P.C.

*Nice to see you FC !!!*  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Voted 3 weeks ago!
Although I'm nowhere near the embassy today so I can't say how the turnout is there, you know 25,000 Americans live in Vancouver.

do know what the turnout is back home, although I think turnout will be in the mid 70s and if its really huge we could see an 8. lol that was would be awesome.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Hi FC and SD, have you planned your celebrations?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

49er

Voted for construction of the high speed rail in California.  I don't think revenue will cover operational cost down the road but it means jobs for thousands in construction for years to come

Sportsdude

49er you voted for it! lol
I brought it up on here a couple months ago and you seemed to criticize it.
It'll be built, I have faith.
Arnold decided to raise taxes and with Obama in charge now the high speed rail fits his 'green collar' jobs portfolio and you'll see federal money pour in I'm sure of it.

Rumours is RFK Jr. is going to head up the EPA.

49er

Sportsdude wrote:
49er you voted for it! lol
I brought it up on here a couple months ago and you seemed to criticize it.
It'll be built, I have faith.
Arnold decided to raise taxes and with Obama in charge now the high speed rail fits his 'green collar' jobs portfolio and you'll see federal money pour in I'm sure of it.

I've always been on the fence.  Passage of the Proposition only means environmental assesments and other studies can begin.  The passage only accounts for 50% of project cost.  Federal and private funds for the other 50% must be secured before construction can begin.

Projected fare from LA to SF is $55 one way.  I, and many others, doubt fares generated will cover maintenance and operational costs.  What swayed me was its an alternate to fossil fuel............and this bullet train thing may catch on in Oregon and then Washington...who knows maybe BC

ADD:  Due to the amount of money he raised in the state for his campaign, no doubt California will be greatly rewarded.......just like Clinton did when he was president

Michel

Russ

49er wrote:
 [div style="font-style: italic;"]I've always been on the fence.  Passage of the Proposition only means environmental assesments and other studies can begin.  The passage only accounts for 50% of project cost.  Federal and private funds for the other 50% must be secured before construction can begin.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]Projected fare from LA to SF is $55 one way.  I, and many others, doubt fares generated will cover maintenance and operational costs.  What swayed me was its an alternate to fossil fuel............and this bullet train thing may catch on in Oregon and then Washington...who knows maybe BC [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]ADD:  Due to the amount of money he raised in the state for his campaign, no doubt California will be greatly rewarded.......just like Clinton did when he was president[/div]
Put it through from vancouver to sf and la and I will use it. seriously. I agree with you. make it an alternative and people will use it. It would be great for us up here as well. lots of people that live in cali have yachts here in vancouver... i used to work on the yachts in vancouver harbour. half of the super yachts there were from americans.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

49er wrote:
[em][/em].and this bullet train thing may catch on in Oregon and then Washington...who knows maybe BC  
ADD:  Due to the amount of money he raised in the state for his campaign, no doubt California will be greatly rewarded.......just like Clinton did when he was president

That's the sole reason I liked it. The western states and BC could join together under a west coast umbrella and run a separate system from amtrak and via. Something a kin to Eurostar.

Finish the California lines and BC/Washington/Oregon co-build on a Eugene-Portland-Olympia-Tacoma-Seattle-Bellingham-Vancouver line. Then connect the two lines together and you've created a network.

Then start a line out to Las Vegas from LA. Reduce cars but at the same time we've got to defeat the airline lobby. Texas wanted to build a line connecting all their cities, airline industry lobbied against it.

Then maybe by the time I croak the west coast will have a European style transportation network.

I saw the project as a catalyst for something. Once its starts, it spreads. lol

49er

The scope of the project is high speed rail from San Diego to Sacramento and beefing up commuting rail systems to the high speed system

.......imagine half hour train rides from Vancouver to Seattle

Michel

Sportsdude

It'd be awesome. I just don't want the computer systems on the train run by Microsoft. lol  

Future Canadian

Michel wrote:
Wouhou more Starbucks !  

And I'm all: "Woohoo more Blenz!"

High speed rail up and down the west coast that doesn't take a back seat to regular rail would be terrific. I've been delayed nearly every time I've taken Amtrak to Seattle. And I'd love to be able to hop on a train to Van!

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others