Carpet Steamers

Started by P.C., Nov 04 08 07:42

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Anybody have one ?  

Looking for a carpet steamer.  With the prices to rent them these days, I'm thinking it might make more sense to buy one ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:
 Anybody have one ?  

Looking for a carpet steamer.  With the prices to rent them these days, I'm thinking it might make more sense to buy one ?

-------------------------------------------------------

Unless you're going to buy a professional machine that is well into four figures, forget about it.  The machines for the masses are majorly inferior to the professional ones.  Most people who buy them or rent them make a total mess of their carpets.  Yeah, they may look clean on the surface, but they don't suck it all up.  

Just like you use a lawyer to do up your will, use a carpet cleaner to do it.
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

purelife

Sorry, I don't have one, but I've heard Bissel is a good brand?  

P.C.

There are only 2 rooms left in the house with carpet.  The bedrooms.  One of these days, they're going too.  Oh yea....and the stairs.    

stretchedout

purelife wrote:
 Sorry, I don't have one, but I've heard Bissel is a good brand?

---------------------------------------

Well there's proof that marketing works.  Yes, these appear to be good, because the ads make them look so good, and one can see the water moving.  But in reality, junk compared to professional.

purelife

I've heard from word-of-mouth from friends who have a carpet steamer.  I don't think I've seen the Bissel ads.  

P.C.

The consumer reports list the Hoover SteamVac as # 1 with the Bissell ProHeat running a close 2nd.

Stretch, I think it's a given, that a pro is going to do a better job.  But I'd be a little bit ashamed to mention how often I do that.  So with a 'lesser quality' home cleaner, done on a more regular basis.... it has got be better than nothing at all.

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:
 The consumer reports list the Hoover SteamVac as # 1 with the Bissell ProHeat running a close 2nd.

Stretch, I think it's a given, that a pro is going to do a better job.  But I'd be a little bit ashamed to mention how often I do that.  So with a 'lesser quality' home cleaner, done on a more regular basis.... it has got be better than nothing at all.[/DIV]
 ---------------------------------------------

Firstly, consumer reports is a completely biased POS magazine.  It always puts American manus near the top.  I've seen this several times with regards to several items.  Last time was with regards to vacuums.  They put Hoover up there with Samsung.  But the Samsung machine was rated way higher by "independent" consumer review reports.

Secondly, as I previously wrote, these "layperson" machines fool us to think our carpets are clean.  And if you look superficially at a carpet post cleaning, it will look clean.  But only on the surface.  Reality will be that if you look "at the roots" you'll see your carpets are no cleaner.  You will have mostly just pushed the dirt in, and made it all wet.  These machines don't suck it up well enough, that's why they are cheap, compared to professional.  Can you say MOLD!  Do yourself a favour and bring in a pro.  And especially for these two rooms that have probably never had the carpets professionaly cleaned.  Go to DV for reviews of local (Metro Vancouver) carpet cleaners.

Good Luck!

P.C.

Hoover's headquarters are in Hong Kong.

Sportsdude

stretchedout wrote:
Firstly, consumer reports is a completely biased POS magazine.  It always puts American manus near the top.  

It's the reverse....

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

It doesn't really matter.  I think stretch is assuming that CR is the deciding factor....when it really is just another resource....just part of the picture.  

Lil Me

I'm of the opinion that DIY carpet cleaning is better than none at all.

We don't have carpets right now, but we used to rent the Rug Doctor machine from Safeway.  It's about $20 plus the cleaning solution.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:
 Hoover's headquarters are in Hong Kong.[/DIV]
 -----------------------------------------

Yes Asian businesses are buying up American companies.  That's not news.  For Hoover this is a fairly recent happening.

Consumer Reports isn't pro-American?  Give me a break.  This did however, used to be somewhat honest in their April car edition about what POS their cars were.  

My recommendation has been written - get a pro steam cleaner to do your carpets.  It will be oh so worth it.  

Lil Me

Or just run around with a bottle of Febreeze and pretend the carpets are clean...

What's that old saying....
 if you have red carpets, drink red wine.
 if you have white carpets, drink white wine.
 Don't drink coffee unless you have a brown carpet.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I'm of the opinion that DIY carpet cleaning is better than none at all.

We don't have carpets right now, but we used to rent the Rug Doctor machine from Safeway.  It's about $20 plus the cleaning solution.

Me too Lil Me.  How can a little bit of dirt be worse than a lot of dirt.....lol

Is that all it is....20 bucks ?  I thought I remembered it being much more. (I guess that goes to show how long ago it was)