My favourite thing(s) about autumn is/are....

Started by Lil Me, Oct 28 08 05:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

My favourite things about autumn, are the smell of the air and the soil.  Both smell richer and earthier in the fall.  

I also like a big bonfire (outside of course)....and kicking up the woodstove inside.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

the variety of colors for leaves

what are yours, Lil Me?

ADD:  Almost forgot about pumpkin and eggnog. :)

Lil Me

Crisp air, smell of fires, the migration to indoor living, warm foods, lots of root vegetables.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

...... the crisp air, the colors of the leaves, watching kids in their various costumes as they go trick or treating.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

the crisp air, seeing your breath, the leaves falling, the colours, the festivals, apple cider, pumpkins, harvest, a crisp weekend afternoon, and nature taking a nap until spring.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Ahhh yes.  Harvest time in Vancouver.     [FONT color=#d0d0d0]Sorry......I couldn't resist.[/FONT]

Russ

rum n egg nogs

hot apple ciders

watching the neighbors rake up the leaves all over their front yards from my tree

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

haha sorry about the harvest line. childhood.
At least I didn't say hay rides on tractors and walks in the corn fields and wheat fields! lol  

P.C.

Well, you know....it brings up an interesting point though.  As in, what is it about autumn we really enjoy, and how much of what we think we enjoy,  is our own romanticised version of it.

purelife

I also like jumping into a pile of crisp leaves.    

Sportsdude

I think its romanticised.
Okay the going to the pumpkin patch was always fun, but there are memories attached. Harvest down on the farm, yeah it was rather boring, but it beat sitting in front of a tv in the farm house waiting for them to come home. Then thanksgiving is nice, when I'm faraway, but if I was present I'd be just as miserable as everyone else in the room as things have soured and its now become a get together people just want to get over and go home.  Then the long walks in the fields, usually meant I wanting some time alone and it usually represents a feeling of coldness, us at our most fragile state, winter. So yeah I think when we think of a certain season its always sugar coating past events and turning it into nostalga.

purelife

P.C. wrote:
Well, you know....it brings up an interesting point though.  As in, what is it about autumn we really enjoy, and how much of what we think we enjoy,  is our own romanticised version of it.

Romanticised version?  What's that?

Sportsdude

purelife wrote:
Romanticised version?  What's that?

That your views of fall/summer/winter/spring are not actual "I like the colours" but feelings and emotions attached to something in your past that made you happy. favourite things related to memories.

P.C.

Yea....I think we do that.

Like....after 3 months of rain, I wonder how many of us really enjoy that 'crisp' air.....or are we all longing for some August.   LOL

I think that's why I liked Lil Me's observation.....about moving towards the root vegetables.    I don't know that I would have ever thought about it in those terms.  Hardly romanticised.....but earthy and warm none the less....and something I enjoy as well. (except the zuchini part. )