Homeless Allowed to Camp in parks

Started by P.C., Oct 15 08 03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Is allowing the homeless to set up tents in public parks OK ?

Absolutely....they have to stay somewhere
0 (0%)
I don't think it's OK....but they have to stay somewhere
4 (80%)
No...it violates the rights of other park users
2 (40%)
Definitely not....it's not the answer to anything
0 (0%)
Sure...why not.  We should all camp in the parks free, why pay to camp in a Provincial Park
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

P.C.

A ruling in Victoria, will now allow the homeless to set up tent towns in the city parks.  This seems like a decision with absolutely no foresight.  By allowing this, will it not violate loitering laws, public urinating laws....and I'm sure several others.  I can't help wonder what these parks will look like a couple years down the road.  Would it be OK for everyone or anyone to camp in the park for free ?  It seems like this is opening a big ol can of worms....and in the end, accomplishes nothing for the homeless problem.

Any thoughts ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

No because its only the homeless and no one else. The 'one else' being the ones paying for the parks.

Its the judge thinking he's being smart by calling attention to himself, and trying to force the politicians to do something about the homeless by making them more visible.

To be honest, it does make sence in a way. They are public parks, paid for by the public for everyone.. if the homeless have no where else to go?

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I just don't see it as a solution to the homeless problem.  It's a bandaid that barely covers the sore.  I strongly believe that something has to be done....but I'm not at all convinced that this is it.  Surely we can come up with a plan that's better than this ?

I can't see how they are going to enforce any guidelines for people travelling from other places to camp in Victoria's parks. (as in non-homeless people)

Russ

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]I just don't see it as a solution to the homeless problem.  It's a bandaid that barely covers the sore.  I strongly believe that something has to be done....but I'm not at all convinced that this is it.  Surely we can come up with a plan that's better than this ? [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]I can't see how they are going to enforce any guidelines for people travelling from other places to camp in Victoria's parks. (as in non-homeless people)[/div]
Thats what I mean.. how does the 'no one' else fit in?

It IS a bandaid in my opinion. And its being done by the judge to put it into the limelight to force politicians to do something about it. (and put himself into the limelight)

P.C.

Oh I see what you're saying with the 'no one else'.  Yes.....I agree.

Michel

Russ

They did sleep in front of city hall in front of Vancouver (victoria?) for a while. Until a local bylaw was passed and they were all chased away.  

P.C.

Me too Michel.     I don't know what the answer is, but I know this recent decision is only prolonging the necessity to do something real about it.  I hope Russ is right, and this is a ploy to throw it back at them to make them face the problem properly.  

Michel

Gopher

Yes, let them stay, and let their presence be a denouement on present day society.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Michel

P.C.

I hear ya Gophie.  But that still does nothing to change present day soiciety.

Gopher

Doesn't change it, just shows it up and lets it know where its priorities are.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Gopher wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Doesn't change it, just shows it up and lets it know where its priorities are.[/div]
Truth.