VHS to DVD

Started by P.C., Oct 02 08 06:08

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Has anyone done this ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Marik

nope, but try this site:
[a href="http://www.videohelp.com/"]http://www.videohelp.com/[/a]

P.C.

Thanks Marik.  I've been reading as much as I can about it, but I have a hard time processing tech-talk.  I'll read one site, and it explains that it's a no-brainer, then another that says you have to be careful, because DVD's have different formats, so recording may be simple....but play-back ....not so much.  (???)  

Lil Me

I'm reluctant to do the transfer (except for important stuff, like home videos) because the sound and visuals are so much better on a commercial DVD than they are on VHS.  Plus, I'm the oddball who can't watch a movie unless the subtitles are on..so I prefer DVD for this aspect, as well.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
I'm reluctant to do the transfer (except for important stuff, like home videos) because the sound and visuals are so much better on a commercial DVD than they are on VHS.  Plus, I'm the oddball who can't watch a movie unless the subtitles are on..so I prefer DVD for this aspect, as well.  

You are lucky you still have your VHS's. My brother decided to clean up and decided we didnt want VHS's anymore.

Gone

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

Truth be known, I got rid of my VHS movies except for the important family videos.
 I didn't have a very large movie collection, and most were things that Heckyl & Jeckyl didn't watch anymore.

I knew a family with younger kids, and gave them the VCR + a couple bags of kid videos.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

So nobody has done it yet ?  Rats.  I was hoping for some tutelage.... in non-tech talk.

Sportsdude

I have a combo where you can transfer vhs and record it to DVD. It was on of those cool plans I had of transferring all the family videos to dvd. Haven't done it.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Lise

Just google a store that would do it for you. There's a store in Metrotown that will do it for you, they charge about $50 for one hour of transfer. Forgot the name of the store but it specialized in cameras and photos. Black Moores?? Unsure. Expensive but you won't have to do all that hassle that comes with trying to convert VHS to DVD.

Either way, good luck.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I'm not sure Michel.  From the things I've read so far, the VHS to DVD recorders are not actually 'burning' the disk. (?)  This is the stuff I'm uncertain about.

Paying someone to do it is not an option for me Lise.  I have 3 large drawers FULL.  Probably half of it isn't worth keeping, but even at that, it would cost a fortune.  I think I read too, that the purchased VHS's cannot be transferred (copyright infringement ?)  

It's partly about a space issue as well.  I'm sure when all is said and done, what I'd keep on disk would fit in a shoebox, instead of 3 dresser drawers.

Michel

P.C.

I think it's more than not being allowed to copy commercial VHS.... they have some kind of script which disables it from being copied.  I'm less concerned with those, than I am with other stuff, but I'd still like to have some of them.  This is where copyright laws really annoy me.  I understand they want to be paid for their work.....soooooo I've paid.  Why should I have to pay again every time technology leaves my paid copy behind.

Michel

P.C.

This makes me a communist ? [img onclick="selecte('eh.gif');" alt=emoticon src="http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/blehnet/eh.gif[/img]  

Well OK....I yam what I yam.  Good thing I don't get too caught up in labels.