BC Ferries is cutting service on routes

Started by Sportsdude, Oct 01 08 08:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[a href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=95eeb707-76b6-4baf-a869-e4327959804d"]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=95eeb707-76b6-4baf-a869-e4327959804d[/a]

BC Ferries is reducing a number of services over the fall and winter months due to a significant reduction in traffic during the last few months. [/p]Thanksgiving and the December holiday season will not be included in the reductions.  [/p]Those sailings that will be affected have handled the least amount of traffic in the past, a BC Ferries news release says.
[/p]The runs that will experience a reduction are Swartz Bay - Tsawwassen, Departure Bay - Horseshoe Bay and Langdale - Horseshoe Bay.[/p]"Given current economic uncertainties and reduced traffic, it is only prudent to respond with a more efficient operating strategy as we move into the slower winter period," COO Mike Corrigan said in a news release.[/p]Some 7 a.m. Sunday sailings from Tsawwassen and some 9 a.m. Sunday sailings from Swartz Bay- Some off-peak even hour sailings on the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen route[/p]- Some 6:30 a.m. Sunday sailings from Departure Bay and some 8:30 a.m. Sunday sailings from Horseshoe Bay[/p]- Some off-peak 10:30 a.m. sailings from Departure Bay and some 12:30 p.m. sailings from Horseshoe Bay[/p]- Some 6:20 a.m. Sunday sailings from Langdale and some 7:20 a.m. Sunday sailings from Horseshoe Bay[/p]- Some 6:30 p.m. Saturday sailings from Langdale and some 7:25 p.m. Saturday sailings from Horseshoe Bay[/p]----------------------------------------------------[/p]wow. They build these two huge ships, now they just sit around and do nothing.
[/p]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

Woohoo!  My ferry reservations for the Thanksgiving long weekend are still valid.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

I meant the ships, not the service. Translink or the 'Southcoast Regional Transit Authority' is doing the same thing, they're adding buses that are needed, then they are going to cut down on frequency times. That's their plan anyway.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

They'll start charging $10.00 each time you use the loo on board.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

stretchedout

Michel wrote:
  Sportsdude wrote:
[A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=95eeb707-76b6-4baf-a869-e4327959804d"][/A]
 [P style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]wow. They build these two huge ships, now they just sit around and do nothing.

Wrong, they do crappy and expensive service.

-------------------------------------

It is a business - perhaps you don't understand.  If there are sailings with only 20 or so cars on them, such sailings should not happen.
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

P.C.

It is a business - perhaps you don't understand.  If there are sailings with only 20 or so cars on them, such sailings should not happen.

I don't know which ferries you're sailing, but every time I go over, there is almost always sailing waits.

The fact of the matter is, ridership is down.  Ridership is down, because prices are up.....WAY up.   Why not lower the prices and fill em up.  The wages of B.C. ferry workers would imply they have all the money in the world.  Since when does a cashier require to be paid $23 an hour.  Give me a break !

Everyone I know would use the ferry (DID use the ferry) a lot more if it didn't cost half a morgage payment.  

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

Van

lol PC. I have a cousin in a sawmill that make almost $30.00 for sweeping the floors. Strong union. Too bad the mill has about 2 months left to go if they are lucky.

I worked union once, I will NEVER again!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

Unions get rich because of high salaries ? That's what you're saying ?

No...that's not what I'm saying at all.  I'm saying that those costs get passed down to the consumer in one form or another.  I'm saying if those kinds of wages were cut to reflect the value of the job (which would be about half)....then there would certainly be enough money to run the business effectively....no ?

A cashier on BC ferries is no more skilled than a cashier at Zellers...so why double the wages ?  Do you think that's not part of what we're paying for ?  I do.