Your Ideas- Dec 24 and 25

Started by Lil Me, Sep 27 08 02:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

Halp!  Thinking hard about revamping our family Christmas traditions this year.
 What do you do for Xmas Eve and Day?
 Need ideas for activites.
 Doesn't matter if you are a single, or if you spend Xmas with a pile of people.  Would like to hear your ideas.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

- baking/cooking together
- playing chess, puzzles, games
- watching movies
- caroling
- video games
- have friends/family over
- stringing popcorn
- arts & crafts
- finger painting

Marik

If you or your relatives have a Nintendo Wii, they have to bring that. It is fun for the whole family. Even the old folks will love it!!

purelife

I totally agree with you about the Wii, Marik.  My brothers and their g/f came over the other night and we played go-kart, Sports and the Wii Fit.  We had hours of fun and laughter.

Scattergory is another fun game.

Lise

Wii is too complex if you have young folks at the toddler stage. I didn't find it as stimulating as I thought and got tired of it. Maybe I'm just a die hard XBox fan and want more graphic depth.

I'd go with the renting of classic Christmas movies like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. That's always good for a laugh.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Adventure

P.C.

We don't have a great depth of tradition around here.  But there are a few things that must happen, before Christmas seems like Christmas to me.  One, is watching A Christmas Carol.....the one with Alister Simm (sp?).....no remakes will do.  The second is the original Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch stole Christmas.(cartoon)  OK.....seriously........

Visiting Senior's homes in your area is a great way to get in touch with all sorts of goodness.  Not only is this a great experience for the seniors....but the young'uns come out with something as well.  If it's not a tradition, it's worth making it one.  It's a win win.  You can go one step further, and teach the kidlings about giving......and it don't cost much.  A little basket of tissues, lotions, a nice jar of jam....such small things.....but giving these little things teaches the munchkins about giving......and in return.....you'd be hard pressed to find more appreciative recipients.  Kids might feel awkward at first......but if they make the right connection.....they can get so much from this simple way of giving.  Even to sing them a Christmas carol or bring them some home baked cookies...... *cry*

There are programs coming out the ying yang for kids in hospitals (also a worthy thought) etc.....but getting the young in touch with the sometimes forgotten elderly, leaves everyone with something valuable.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

That's a very noble idea, PC. Perhaps one day we would do something like that. We always make it a tradition in our house to buy a present for a child who needs one and drop it off at our local community centre. Going to a senior's home would be another great step in that direction.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Van

wow! Never planned this stuff out. Usually having a drink or two with friends Christmas eve. Christmas day I am hanging with my mom.

Simple stuff.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

Usually having a drink or two with friends Christmas eve.

Simple traditions are good too.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/c020.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Lise wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Wii is too complex if you have young folks at the toddler stage. I didn't find it as stimulating as I thought and got tired of it. Maybe I'm just a die hard XBox fan and want more graphic depth.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]I'd go with the renting of classic Christmas movies like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. That's always good for a laugh.[/div]
You and I are just not able to let go of Halo with teh Master Chief. Hey have you tried Halo 3?? Its brilliant, my brother got the 360.. he's also got some new game that he loves.

I agree with Van. We usually head over to a number of friends places the night before to visit around, this evening we each open one gift of our choosing.. Xmas morn we do the breakfast and gifts thing, then we head to somewhere around, local bar to meet up for a few then head home after about 2  hours. Do the turkey dinner and ham.. depends who comes over. Afterwards sit around, gab, and start some interactive board games.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Van

Boxing Day is cool too. It is like Christmas, but with the gifts already opened, leftover turkey buns for lunch, and plenty of rum still to enjoy!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

purelife

I'm with you guys too about Dec 24/25.  Just relaxing and chillin with friends and family playing games.    

Van

I am usually just hoping for good ski conditions around that time.

Russ

Van wrote:
I am usually just hoping for good ski conditions around that time.

We like going camping at that time.. no other people around, everything looks new and natural.. and we can try out all the new toys and see if htey actually work.
We bought these camping cahirs with heaters in them.. lets see how well they work in the cold!

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims