Romance in the Work Place

Started by Lise, Sep 24 08 06:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think it's OK to be romantically involve with your co-worker?

Yes
4 (44.4%)
No
3 (33.3%)
Undecided
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

|

Lise

I'm curious to see where you stand. I mean, what do you think about ppl going out with co-workers?

Management has hinted that they frown on romance between co-workers but at the same time I don't think you will find a clause that said you're not allowed to have some type of romantic inclination towards each other. I mean, can they stop you? Heck, we've had staff members going out with students before, even marrying each other. Then again, once you've graduated, they've got no say.

Whare your thoughts?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Van

I seen 2 cases of this.

One where a guy and girl hooked up, but the guy left for another job right away.

Another where a guy showed interest in a girl and the girl threatened him with a lawsuit for sexual harrassment.

I have no problem with people hooking up at work.  I just couldn't imagine hooking up with a girl at work. It would be all sunshine and smiles the first little while. But my work is my space, my thing, my life. I am not sure if I would want to date a girl in the evening after I shared office politics with all day? It is good to have that space apart. If your space apart becomes the after hours, and your time together is while you are at work, that is kind of sad. I am glad I don't have to deal with office bs anymore anyways.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Michel

Lil Me

I voted No because I don't think it's a good idea.

IMHO, a workplace romance affects people's judgement- the two people involved cannot hide their feelings, no matter how they try.  It makes life weird/uncomfortable for everyone else.  Plus, they two people inevitably discuss workplace issues between themselves, making each other privy to issues they may not normally deal with...but may ultimately get involved in for support of their lover.  Totally messes up the workplace chain of command (the ORG chart).

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Van

Lil Me makes a good point. I think it is fine if one of the people involved are planning on leaving soon anyways.

I don't know, maybe it is just me. I crave my own space. Working with someone all day, then seeing them all evening would drive me bonkers!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Michel

P.C.

I voted no as well.  Not because I think it's 'wrong'....but because of the potential to be in a situation, where one or the other may end up having to leave their job if things don't pan out.  If it's just 'a job'....it could be less of an issue....but if it's your career, this could toss a few obstacles in your path in the future.

*another part of me is with Lise's 'throw caution to the wind'.  Jobs come and jobs go....but romance is the spice of life.  I guess I'm a little wishy-washy on the subject.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Van

I don't have a problem with co-workers hooking up for some play too.  If it isn't a romance thing, just a lust thing. As long as I don't have to see it, I wouldn't care.

Van

P.C. wrote:
I voted no as well.  Not because I think it's 'wrong'....but because of the potential to be in a situation, where one or the other may end up having to leave their job if things don't pan out.  If it's just 'a job'....it could be less of an issue....but if it's your career, this could toss a few obstacles in your path in the future.

*another part of me is with Lise's 'throw caution to the wind'.  Jobs come and jobs go....but romance is the spice of life.  I guess I'm a little wishy-washy on the subject.  

Another good point. Is it a McJob? Or a Software Engineering firm that a person has waited their whole life to work at? Every situation is different.

P.C.

I have a friend who actually dated our boss at one place I worked .....and they ended up marrying.  They are still like newlyweds after 15 years.  

I also was in another situation, where a friend dated our boss, and it was a MESS.  She ended up being given all kinds of privileges over people with greater seniority (and skill)  that made just about everyone resent her.  Neither the job or the romance lasted very long.

Michel

P.C.

Michel wrote:  Romance doesn't means people should stop acting professionally.

Well said Michel.  I imagine that's exactly the difference between the situations that work without it affecting those around them and those that don't.

*I just thought of another couple that met at work and eventually married.....so I started thinking back, and realized that I know of several stories of wedded bliss stemming from the work place.

Michel

Lil Me

P.C. wrote:
a friend dated our boss, and it was a MESS.  She ended up being given all kinds of privileges over people with greater seniority (and skill)  that made just about everyone resent her.  
 --
 I've heard this kind of complaint from several people...who feel powerless to do anything about it when the office romance between the boss and the co-worker is not supposed to be public knowledge, but everyone knows, and it's affecting workplace performance and morale.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|