Started by TehBorken, Sep 20 08 09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

An email making the rounds. ...List of things you can do with Peroxide:

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes
with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes
daily, then spit it out. (I do it when I bathe.) No more
canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without
expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

e.g. Arm & Hammer baking soda & PEROXIDE

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide
to keep them free of germs.

3. Clean your counters and table tops with peroxide
to kill germs and leave a fresh smell. Simply put a
little on your dishrag when you wipe, or spray it on
the counters.

4. After rinsing off your wooden cutting board, pour
peroxide on it to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

5. I had fungus on my feet for years until I sprayed
a 50/50 mixture of peroxide and water on them
(especially the toes) every night and let dry.

6. Soak any infections or cuts in 3% peroxide for five
to ten minutes several times a day. My husband has
seen gang rene that would not heal w ith any medicine but was
hea led by soaking in peroxide.

7. Fill a spray bottle with a 5 0/50 mixture of peroxide
and water and keep it in every bathroom to disinfect
without harming your septic system like bleach or most
other disinfectants will.

8. Tilt your head back and spray into nostrils with your
50/50 mixture whenever you have a cold, plugged sinus.
It will bubble and help to kill the bacteria. Hold for
a few minutes, and then blow your nose into a tissue.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to
a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into
your mouth and hold it for ten minutes several times
a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

10. And of course, if you like a natural look to your
hair, spray the 50/50 solution on your wet hair after

a shower and comb it through. You will not have the
peroxide-burnt blonde hair like the hair dye packages
but more natural highlights if your hair is a light
brown, faddish, or dirty blonde. It also lightens
gradually, so it's not a drastic change.

11. Put half a bottle of peroxide in your bath to help
rid boils, fungus, or other skin infections.

12. You can also add a cup of peroxide instead of
bleach to a load of whites in your laundry to whiten
them. If there is blood on clothing, pour it directly
on the soiled spot. Let it sit for a minute, then rub
it and rinse with cold water. Repeat if necessary.

13. I use peroxide to clean my mirrors. There is no
smearing, which is why I love it so much for this.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

Hey.....I JUST came across that article the other day.

Lots of good tips in that one..... in the intro of that article, they state that peroxide is much cheaper than bleach.  I don't know where the person that wrote that lives, but a bottle of peroxide in the same size as a bottle of bleach here, would cost about 10 times as much.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

I'm pretty sure it's one of the ingredients in teeth whiteners.....mind you who knows.....maybe it's only a matter of time before they come out with a report telling everyone to STOP using them as they are under investigation for the unprecedented up-rise of mouth cancer.  

Michel

Lil Me

I used a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water to rinse my mouth when I used to get horrible infections (before wisdom teeth were removed).  Dentist told me to do it.  Tasted awful and I can't remember my teeth getting any whiter.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Lise

1. Take one capful (the little white cap that comes
with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes
daily, then spit it out. (I do it when I bathe.) No more
canker sores, and your teeth will be whiter without
expensive pastes. Use it instead of mouthwash.

e.g. Arm & Hammer baking soda & PEROXIDE

Uhm..... OK.... just to let you know that we in the dental field do not recommend that you use peroxide (whatever the dose) and let it sit into your mouth for even a few seconds. It's a sure way to burn off your tissues never mind the cranker sores and what-not.

I don't recommend Arm and Hammer because they do  not contain fluoride. If you don't want to use fluoride in any products, it's entirely up to you. It's not that it's bad but everyone can benefit from fluoride intake from time to time.

2. Let your toothbrushes soak in a cup of peroxide
to keep them free of germs.

If you simply tap the excess water from your toothbrush every night before you put it away, it will lessen the amount of bacteria on it. You can certainly use a bit of bleach and water (very, very diluted) every so often. Generally, toss out your brush after 3 months, less if your notice your bristles are getting that 'old looking' feeling. It's not that expensive to buy a new one.

9. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to
a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% peroxide into
your mouth and hold it for ten minutes several times
a day. The pain will lessen greatly

Be it as it may, your best course of action is to take Advil (or any other painkiller) and see your dentist as soon as possible. The pain will NEVER go away until you get it treated. It might lessen given time (the body tries to fix itself) but it will come back with vengence.      
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Good tips there Lise.

Had a dentist friend, who talked about this once, and said the benefit (aside from the obvious...get to a dentist) of a diluted peroxide rinse, was to stave off absess....which puts a damper on dental work.  Are there better alternatives.....of course....but I thought it was pretty good advice.  I mean, they're talking about 'If you can't get to a dentist immediately', advice.

Lise

That's why I'm not debating that idea when you can't see a dentist immediately. There are tons of dentists around and while they may not be your family dentist, you can still go see them. They are obligated to take you out of pain no matter what. They cannot deny you if you have a toothache. You can also go to hospital for emergency treatment if the pain is too much. I know that the VGH for example have a dental facility there.

There are always options. I'm just.... well, to be honest, a tad leery when it comes to bleach in the mouth. Like I know how corrosive they can be. Just imagine - we use bleach for irrigation of the root canal to kill off nerves and to whiten enamels (enamel being the hardest material in your body). So to put bleach (no matter how diluted) on soft tissues makes me cringe.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

P.C.

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #737373"]There are always options.[/FONT] I'm just.... well, to be honest, a tad leery when it comes to bleach in the mouth. Like I know how corrosive they can be. Just imagine - we use bleach for irrigation of the root canal to kill off nerves and to whiten enamels (enamel being the hardest material in your body). So to put bleach (no matter how diluted) on soft tissues makes me cringe.

Absolutely Lise.

So do you know what IS in toothwhiteners ?  And what is the dental professions opinion on them ?

Lil Me

I've cured canker sores by dabbing hydrogen peroxide on them with a Q-tip.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Ouch, LM.... I would rather you use Oral Gel or some other medication instead. Even warm diluted salted water helps. Please, no more bleach!!! Yikes!

I cannot speak for the dental community on tooth whiteners but I can give you my opinion. Tooth whitening contains baking podwer which they claim will whiten your teeth as you brush. I don't know about you but whitening while brushing just doesn't cut it. I feel that it's playing into giving one a false feeling that you can do this with a wave of your magic wand. Whitening will ONLY work if you whiten your teeth with the whitening products from your dental office and not via brushing with peroxide.

It might change the shade of your teeth slightly 'whitish' but not by very much. I wouldn't buy tooth whitening for all the money in the world. In fact, my only toothpaste will have the stamp of approval from the College of Dental Surgeons and is plain as plain can be. No gimmicks, thank you very much.

The same is applied to dental floss or mouth rinses that promises to whiten. If you look carefully at these whitening products, you might be hard pressed to find the College's stamp of approval on them.      
Bill Cosby.

weird al

[TABLE class=bordercolor cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 1px"] [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD class=windowbg] [TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=top width="85%" height="100%"] [TABLE width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=center align=left][A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,6533.msg138118.html#msg138118"][img alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/post/xx.gif" border=0][/A][/TD] [TD vAlign=center align=left][A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,6533.msg138118.html#msg138118"]Re: Hydrogen Peroxide vs. Bleach[/A]   [DIV class=smalltext]« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 03:59:14 PM »[/DIV][/TD] [TD vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right height=20] [/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [HR class=hrcolor width="100%" SIZE=1]    [DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%"]I've cured canker sores by dabbing hydrogen peroxide on them with a Q-tip.  [/DIV][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD class=smalltext vAlign=bottom width="85%"] [HR class=hrcolor width="100%" SIZE=1] [/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 1px"][A name=msg138130][/A] [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD class=windowbg2] [TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"] [TBODY] [TR] [TD style="OVERFLOW: hidden" vAlign=top width="16%" rowSpan=2][A title="View the profile of Lise" href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=12"]Lise[/A]   [DIV class=smalltext]SuperHero Member
[img alt=* src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/star.gif" border=0][img alt=* src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/star.gif" border=0][img alt=* src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/star.gif" border=0][img alt=* src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/star.gif" border=0][img alt=* src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/star.gif" border=0]

[/DIV][/TD] [TD vAlign=top width="85%" height="100%"] [TABLE width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=center align=left][A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,6533.msg138130.html#msg138130"][img alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/post/xx.gif" border=0][/A][/TD] [TD vAlign=center align=left][A href="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/index.php/topic,6533.msg138130.html#msg138130"]Re: Hydrogen Peroxide vs. Bleach[/A]   [DIV class=smalltext]« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »[/DIV][/TD] [TD vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right height=20] [/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [HR class=hrcolor width="100%" SIZE=1]    [DIV style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 100%"] Ouch, LM.... I would rather you use Oral Gel or some other medication instead. Even warm diluted salted water helps. Please, no more bleach!!![/DIV]

Hydrogen peroxide is not bleach

It is a bleaching agent, as are sunlight, lemon juice etc., but is not bleach per se, like clorox or javex or what have you.

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]