Past Jobs

Started by purelife, Sep 18 08 02:59

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

What were some of your past jobs?  Places you have worked for?  Your responsibilities?  Why you left?  Volunteered or paid.

Lise

Grocery store packer. You unload stuff, you pack them on the shelves. Pay was awesome, something like $25 an hour because you work the graveyard shift. I did it during university days for 3 to 6 hours/week.

Flyers. I gave out flyers like crazy for a week and got $100 for my sweat.

Teaching at school. No pay but you get credit. Kinda sucks but hey, at least you're getting something towards your degree.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

volunteered at this accounting firm doing odd bookeeping and whatnot.  

volunterred for many local celebratiosn at the park

worked for real estate developers, Pizza Hut

worked for trucking company/cold storage/salmon processing plant - accounts receivable and admin

worked in a college - marketing assistant

worked in countless of restaurants/bars

also worked for David Suzuki Foundation in kits as admin ass't.

Ipsos Reid in payroll

babysitting        

Lil Me

A million and one different volunteer jobs.  Notable: accounting in a non-profit birth control clinic, arena janitor for a youth conference.

Paid jobs:
 babysitting
 delivering phone books
 numerous restaurants and bars
 pub manager
 wrote building code  (unfortunate- because I have piss-poor drafting skills, can't read plans very well, and can't build anything...but let me tell you, my calculations were bang on!)
 office jobs in research, accounting, admin

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Michel

Sportsdude

helped handicapped/mentally disabled kids/adults for a week at camp.

In high school I had to do 30-60hrs of community service a year to graduate. Since I never was able to find a job, ever, I just did a 5hr MWF shift at a local hospital for about 2 years. I think I did somewhere around 1,000hrs. Had a good time, just ended up talking to the other retirees who were working there, pushing people around in wheel chairs.
 Memorable highlights: delivered santa claus touqes for the new borns a couple days before Christmas, heard a couple babies being born while delivering a package, watched open heart surgery, carried a guy right from the open heart surgery table to his room with other nurses, those are the happy times.

The tough times were when I had to try and deliver a gift to an elderly woman who was terminally ill and dilvering flowers to a woman who had cancer and later I was told was dying who was in her late 30s/40s, she couldn't stop crying. That and going to the children's cancer ward was probably the worst days. Only got through those days by talking to the other helpers all who had strokes and heart attacks. One of the guys who was an engineer who help lay plans for the hospital, went into a coma for months, nobody expeted him to live through that, so whenever those tough days happened, I talked to him.

Met the heads of the hospital, I know all there is to know about colonoscopies. I ended up knowing everyone on a first name basis that when I went in for surgery or something nurses would remember me. lol

newspapers for 3 years, saw a lot of drunks,crimes, deer, and was involved in too many accidents due to icy roads. Best story, brakes failed going down a hill, too icey, slammed into a mail box. AAA said go talk to the person about their mailbox. So, 6am some rich wall street guy comes out, lets me in his house, he's in boxers and a tshirt. He told me he cared more about his 5 dollar mailbox.

randomly have done some farm stuff since about 13.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Van

welder helper at a warehouse - walked around with firehose to make sure welders sparks were put out. This was my high school job. Paid great and not a ton of hours.

After uni, I was an office robot slave...sucked!

Those were my past jobs.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

ouch office slave. I finally saw Office Space in the last year. It made me want to give up on life. lol

Van

HA! I love that movie!!

I turned into Peter, but not 100%. Instead of gutting fish on important papers, I became my own boss and started charging out the rate the company used to charge me out to clients, before paying me only a fraction.

It wasn't just that. I just hated the whole office politics.  
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

I don't blame you at all. Hopefully with my career, I can take a job in a rural mountainous area, would make the job seem less boring going to work. lol

Van

Sportsdude wrote:
I don't blame you at all. Hopefully with my career, I can take a job in a rural mountainous area, would make the job seem less boring going to work. lol

Sounds like a cream dream! go 4 it!

P.C.

Display windows for an art glass blower. (still remember his name....Louis Fabien)

Fashion modelling for a couple years.

B.C. Directories

CIBC Data Centre.

Clerical work at an accountants office

Office crap at physiotherapists

Pro shop attendant at golf course.

Office manager for Returnning Office for 4 elections. (well...office manager for 2)

Self employed- window treatment and design.                
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Whoa! PC, you were modelling? TELL ME MORE!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Yup....I didn't always look like this ya know.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.