Does Stephen Harper wear a toupee?

Started by Lil Me, Sep 11 08 08:53

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Van

for sure. I like my 5 minutes of news updates a day, and I am good. Anything more than that, and I want to tear my eyes out.

Shows like Robot Chicken and Simpsons have more realistic and credible news than what is called the News by the major networks.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

fluff (sensationalism) = ratings = money = profits.

I can remember a time when the only celeb mag at the grocery store was People and the silly papers (National Enquirer and Aliens landed in New Mexico News of the World)
Now there's
Star
Ok!
TMZ (and its thousand or so blogs linked to it)
Hello!
Us Weekly
In Touch Weekly
Perez Hilton

Then there's cable news, which isn't news but recycling of stories over and over again every hour. Got to fill it with something, celeb stuff.
Then news has been driven personality based for a while now. You didn't just watch the news, you picked who you wanted to get it from. Presenters are just more then presenters, they reflect a view point.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Anyway, the problem with this recent flap is that this person is in the cabinet. Stephen Harper picked this guy to be a minister in the government and this guys words mean that he is accountable to the crown, the agricultural ministry and his government. So, by not firing this guy Harper is showing poor leadership skills in this system of responsible government, because the House probably doesn't have confidence in this minister. By firing this guy Harper is showing the House that he cannot pick the right people to be in cabinet, therefore he's not fit to govern. (although you had a better case with Bernier)

the last flap was an aide who has nothing to do with governmental affairs.

add: sorry for the talk about responsible government lol, I'm doing an essay on responsible government. haha

P.C.

Anyway, the problem with this recent flap is that this person is in the cabinet. Stephen Harper picked this guy to be a minister in the government and this guys words mean that he is accountable to the crown, the agricultural ministry and his government. So, by not firing this guy Harper is showing poor leadership skills in this system of responsible government, because the House probably doesn't have confidence in this minister. By firing this guy Harper is showing the House that he cannot pick the right people to be in cabinet, therefore he's not fit to govern. (although you had a better case with Bernier)

the last flap was an aide who has nothing to do with governmental affairs.

[/DIV]
I understand what the flap is about.  I'm saying that by coming to the conclusion, that this means anything more than an insensitive remark, is because the media has made it so.  It tells me nothing about leadership, ability to govern, or responsible government.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

No but he says a lot about the kind of disrespectful people the Conservatives are.

I agreed that the remark was clearly insensitive.  What I conclude from that, is that he is clearly insensitive.

I'm sure that if everything said behind closed doors, were brought to our attention (especially with the media's spin), we would find out that more than just the Conservatives would have a lot of apologizing to do.  I'm not specifically referring to just the political arena.

P.C.

I think that what came out of that tory's big mouth shows what kind of person HE is.

[/DIV]

P.C.

No, it shows what kind of party he's in, and what kind of people trusted him, work with him, defend him, stand by him and hence hypocritally share his views.

This is a public figure. You choose decent people for those kind of job. If this is your best choice, you're as disgusting as him.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/n080.gif" border=0][FONT size=4]WOAH big fella.[/FONT]  I didn't say anywhere that he is my choice.  [/DIV]

Sportsdude

Cabinet people are the government so when a Cabinet person says stuff like this, it's a reflection of his or her government, party leader, and party.

There's a reason why when you take a Government portfolio job you first sign your resignation letter without dating it. You are responsible to your department, prime minister, the crown, the people, and your party. What you say as a cabinet member reflects the 'will of the cabinet' so to speak.

If the Foreign Minister said something off the cuff about another country, you'd have an international incident with massive apologies from the government to whatever country it was and most likely the foreign minister would resign if not, confidence vote would happen on the government, I think.

So in this election time its, "so this is really the people Stephen Harper picks to run the government? These are the people he choses to represent us?"

Yeah it's a political issue, but it strikes at what I think a government in this country is suppose to do. If you can't have confidence in the leader of the party who is the Prime Minister to put decent responsible people in government positions, why should he or she be allowed to govern?

It's one thing for a back bencher like Carolyn Parrish to mouth off about Americans to the press, she would just hurt her party (and herself) and all the Prime Minister would have to do is say "she doesn't represent the view of this government, but we allow many different points of view in our party and in our caucus meetings, and she was just upset over the presidential election, she gets too emotional sometimes, because she cares so much about the world." If she was in government, then she'd hurt the government to the point an election would of had to have been called, because you can't have a cabinet member saying that another country's citizens are 'bastards'.

P.C.

"decent responsible people in government positions" ?

I must be more jaded than I thought.

I'll go back to my original comment.

Was this an insensitive remark ?  Yes.

Is it newsworthy ? No.

My point is,  he has been called upon to respond to the families of the victims of the listeria tragedy.....all I'm saying is that they should never have been subjected to those comments in the first place.  This isn't about who I support or don't support.  [/DIV][/DIV]

Michel

Sportsdude

Globe and Mail editorial:

"Gerry Ritz is a real ham. At the height of a public health crisis that has so far been linked to 17 deaths in Canada and left many other people seriously ill, our Agriculture Minister was able to find some humour in the situation. His gags betray more than poor taste. Together with other missteps this week and last, it exposes a sophomoric side to a political party that is presenting itself as the only serious option in the Oct. 14 federal election."

"It is not that the jokes aren't funny, in a sick way"....... "But consider the context: A meeting of senior officials dealing with a major outbreak of a deadly disease, and literally as people are dying."

"As the lead minister on the crisis, officials at the meeting would have looked to Mr. Ritz to set the tone and to get a read on just how seriously the government of Canada was taking the matter. Judging from Mr. Ritz's decision to make light of the listeriosis outbreak, they could have reasonably concluded that the answer was not very seriously at all."

"Mr. Ritz's offensive jokes were perhaps the most damning, coming as they did in the midst of a public health crisis. But there are only so many times Prime Minister Stephen Harper can signal his disappointment with his party's ministers and staff before questions must be raised about just what sort of environment they are working in."

[a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080918.weritz0918/BNStory/specialComment/home"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080918.weritz0918/BNStory/specialComment/home[/a]

Van

The thing I am saying is, you could pick apart any party for things they say.

The Fiberals did it for over a decade. There isn't enough time in the day to write down all the crap that spewed from their mouths.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

|