Midlife Crisis Advice

Started by Lil Me, Sep 06 08 10:54

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

P.C.

One simple question SD.  Have you BEEN 40 before ?  Your opinions at this stage can only be based on what you THINK it might be like to have reached the middle of your life.

Holocaust ?  Rape ?  Drugs ?  Nobody is comparing 'mid-life crisis' with tragedy.  One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  Zero, zip, zilch.

I would go as far as saying that mid-life crisis (aside from being nothing more than a term) is not necessarily a bad thing.  It's not about 'moping' or not getting on with it.   It's simply a time for realigning ones life with new found enlightenment.....if needed.  

Pulling the ageism card ?  I'm not pulling anything.  I am merely suggesting that 20 can't know 40.   Just the same as I can't claim knowledge of what 80 may bring.  I can SEE what 80 looks like.....I can SEE what 80 does....I can LISTEN to what 80 says.....but I cannot FEEL what 80 feels like, until I am there.  

I am quite happy to be able to say, that I have very different views on life now, than I did at 20.  If that's what you mean by 'pulling the ageism card'......guilty as charged.....with no shame attached.        
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

haha pl with her dot. lol

No. You make it sound like its the toughest thing, when reality it's just you going 'what if' at 40 and 50 instead of 20 or 30 etc.
If most mid life's are career based, then it is a 'what if'. Like 'what if I went into engineering instead of just music' or 'what if I had taken this job 20 years ago, my family would be better of'.

that's what if'ing and not a mid life crisis which is apparently what a mid life crisis is.

Add:
Pulling the ageism card ?  I'm not pulling anything.  I am merely suggesting that 20 can't know 40.

And 40 has apparently forgotten that they were thinking the same thing at 20.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I never suggested, implied or insinuated anywhere that it was the toughest thing.  It is, however, not as simple, when you have come to the realization, that correcting your 'mischoices' now affect more than just yourself....and they often do.  To suggest you have an inkling what it may be like for someone at 40 to switch tracks from a life that they may have been doing nothing more than tolerating, instead of living, is pretty presumptuous.        

P.C.

And 40 has apparently forgotten that they were thinking the same thing at 20.

40 did not forget 20 here.   But it took me a little longer before I learned how much I didn't know and that I would never stop learning.  A big leap, considering we think we know it all at 17.

If you are saying you are sure you will be thinking the same at 40 as you are today, is that not the same as saying that you are thinking the same at 20 as you were at 1 ?      

Van

what about that movie coming out with Brad Pitt? Where he is born old and becomes young?

That would through some 40 year old thoughts in a different direction.

Not sure what that show is called?
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

Ask SD.   [/DIV]

purelife

That reminds me of a movie with Jennifer Gardner where she was 13 turning 30 or something like that....

Van

P.C. wrote:

Ask SD.   [/DIV][/DIV]
 One thing at a time, I am trying to catch up on the midlife crisis knowledge!  
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

Well, if you have any questions, you know who to ask.  

purelife

Lil Me

*re-enters the room*
 damn!  I got busy and missed all the fireworks.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
[em]And 40 has apparently forgotten that they were thinking the same thing at 20.[/em]

40 did not forget 20 here.   But it took me a little longer before I learned how much I didn't know and that I would never stop learning.  A big leap, considering we think we know it all at 17.

If you are saying you are sure you will be thinking the same at 40 as you are today, is that not the same as saying that you are thinking the same at 20 as you were at 1 ?  

I'm not talking 'changing of views' to me that's not what people or I consider a 'midlife crisis'.
To my extent of seeing people going through a midlife crisis it has always been about 'what if' during the past 20 or so years. Usually stemming from a decision in university to go in one direction against the advice of a parent or something that happened around 30 or so when the opportunity to change careers happened, but for whatever reason the person in question decided not to act.

Same thing in my opinion can be applied to relationships as well.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

For some reason I seem to have missed it.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Michel

|