McCain's VP's daughter Bristol 17, is pregnant

Started by Sportsdude, Sep 01 08 09:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

bwhahahahahahahaha

So much for 'family values' McCain picked the Spears family as VP.
Dumb dumbs who don't believe in birth control.

The 17-year-old daughter of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is pregnant, Palin said Monday in an announcement intended to knock down rumors by liberal bloggers that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her child. [p class="textBodyBlack"][span id="byLine"][/span]Bristol Palin, one of Alaska Gov. Palin's five children with her husband, Todd, is about five months pregnant and is going to keep the child and marry the father, the Palins said in a statement released by the campaign of Republican presidential candidate John McCain. [/p][p class="textBodyBlack"][span id="byLine"][/span]Bristol Palin made the decision on her own to keep the baby, McCain aides said.
[/p][p class="textBodyBlack"]
[/p][p class="textBodyBlack"][a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26496189/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26496189/[/a]
[/p]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

I'm all for politicians being honest.

Kudos to Sarah Palin and family in this regard.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

How are these people honest? These people are the typical 'do as I say not what I do' crowd that has polluted America's public stream of thought.  

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
How are these people honest? These people are the typical 'do as I say not what I do' crowd that has polluted America's public stream of thought.  

I couldn't agree more. It's the old, "Family values are important, but not for my family. Only for your family."

Someone asked me if McCain choosing Palin as his VP would make me consider voting for him...I replied, "I wouldn't vote for John McCain if he picked ME." And it's true.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

It seems wrong to me, to conclude that because a 17 year old girl is pregnant, that the family has no values ?

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Republicans can get away with anything, if Biden's son's fathered a child or something, Republicans would use this as "see! Damn liberals and their un-family values, sex before marriage, wrong for america". Yet its okay if Republicans do it because they have god on their side.

Jamie Lynn Spears goes around preaching abstinence, even after she was pregnant. Then its family cultures. Right wing families can't take criticism and get offended if you point out a flaw or tell them that life doesn't revolve around them, but they love to attack and cut down your own family problems or struggles.

Lil Me

P.C. wrote:
 [DIV style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]It seems wrong to me, to conclude that because a 17 year old girl is pregnant, that the family has no values ?

--
Exactly.
Accidents happen.
She is being honest about her situation and taking responsibility for it.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

that's not the point, but it's okay.  

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]It seems wrong to me, to conclude that because a 17 year old girl is pregnant, that the family has no values ?[/div]  
You're absolutely right....I was generalizing. It doesn't indicate anything specific about their family or their values.

I've just seen far too many right-wing Republicans preaching on and on about "family values" only to find out later that they're slimeballs. Like Larry Craig, Mark Foley, Ted Haggard, Bob Allen, Glenn Murphy Jr., etc etc etc.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

So much for 'family values' McCain picked the Spears family as VP.
Dumb dumbs who don't believe in birth control.

SD, so what IS the point ?

A 17 year old girl who doesn't get pregnant, because she is on birth control, has more values than a 17 year old girl who is pregnant because she isn't on birth control ?

I might be missing something here....wouldn't be the first time.

I think that making this girls situation a political issue is mental.  Just my personal thoughts.        

Sportsdude

Because Republicans would be shouting on high if the tables were turned and it was the Democrat's nominee's daughter who was pregnant. Republicans represent the party of abstinence and like to divide and conquer on these social issues. Republicans are the party that say they can raise their kids better, that's what 'family values' means. It's a wedge issue this girl is already a political pawn to their base.

The girl in getting pregnant represents the battle between abstinence only education which is basically "Don't do it" to sex education where they teach you everything and how to prepare yourself is something goes wrong. Republicans believe in abstinence only because contraceptives are 'morally wrong'.

P.C.

I'm not asking who is shouting...I'm asking why they're shouting.

My guess is, that there are enough sheep who buy into this line of thinking.  It seems to be a desperate act.....to latch on to a situation like this and make it a political issue.  I suppose it's easier to think what everyone else thinks, than to think for ourselves.  I am dumbfounded, to find that this has been on every news program ALL day (they're still yapping about it as we speak).  Sad.  To take a real life issue and twist it for political gain is shallow thinking IMHO.

Sportsdude

Well they're talking about it for reasons I'll list
It's the VP's child, in America we like to see our President and Vice President as a reflection of ourselves someone we could have a beer with somebody like us. This doesn't mean they're good at running the country though... So if a majority of people believe in 'family values' like sex before marriage, religion (there will never be an atheist president) etc.  We frown upon extra marital affairs, etc. Voters pick people they like, it's never about ideas...

McCain picked a person he had only met once before in his life, she comes from a state most Americans only go to once in their life on a cruise, if at all. Nobody knows anything about her, so these revelations are huge in defining who a person is in the public square. You as a politician want to define yourself and not have anything define you first because once public opinion shifts to a negative view point, you're done.

So in that respect it's a major news story.

P.C.

I don't need a list as to why they are talking about it.  I GET why they are talking about it.  I am suggesting, that it is misguided to buy into it.  I am suggesting that it is on a par with highschool gossip.  I am suggesting that we have become so weak in our convictions, that we need someone to tell what we are supposed to think.

I am also suggesting that anyone who takes something like this as 'defining who a person is', has lost the ability to think for themselves.

*add:  I DO get what you're saying....and there is truth in what you're saying about how people think.  I'm trying to back it up to a place where our opinions aren't directed by the media and a culture that seems to make an issue out of non issues.