This is News ?

Started by P.C., Aug 22 08 05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I just watched a report on the news, that they are thinking of taking a look into the serious affects of codeine on infants who are injesting it through mothers milk.

I don't know what happened between the time that I had my children, and now.....but we all knew 'back then' that it was just something you didn't take when you were nursing (or pregnant).....nor would doctors prescribe it.  What happened, and when did it happen, that it became ok to do this ?

[A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/health/story.html?id=c505651a-fb06-4cb1-b6d0-82e9c6395760"]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/health/story.html?id=c505651a-fb06-4cb1-b6d0-82e9c6395760[/A]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

For my very first birth, I took Tylenol with codeine to dull the pain. I was in so much pain afterwards that it helped with the transistion. I had asked my doc whether it was OK and he said it was fine so long as you don't overdo it. I don't know. My kid turned out fine, thank goodness.

Scary thought but then again, mothers who also smoke and drink then breast feed their babies are also pumping harmful chemicals into them. No one says anything to them.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I didn't intend my first post to sound like I was slamming moms who did.  Apparently they are giving it to them in the hospitals.  I'm just saying, at some point they must have decided it was ok....and I'm curious when that came about.....because there WAS a time when it was a definite no no.  

As for drinking and smoking while breastfeeding or during pregnancy.....that would only be comparable if at some point it was decided that this was acceptable as well.....plus.....they aren't handing out cigarettes and martinis in the delivery room.

My point is, why is a study necessary to determine that a narcotic can be dangerous to a newborn's health, when they seemed to understand this a few decades ago.  It would be equally puzzling if they decided they needed to do a study to determine whether alcohol or smoking  is a danger to baby's health.  

Lil Me

Yeah, the medical community won't believe something unless they do a study to PROVE it.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Van

From what I understand, doctors used to smoke in the surgery rooms at hospitals??
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Lil Me

Doctors do all kinds of gross things.  (don't shake hands with your doctor!!!)

I have a doctor in the family who admits to eating his lunch during patient consultations because he runs on his lunch break.  I should add that he's a urologist.  ew ew ew ew ew ew!!!!!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Hahahahaha Lil Me.

Van wrote: From what I understand, doctors used to smoke in the surgery rooms at hospitals??

I think I approached this all wrong.  I didn't make my point well at all.  Doctors may well have smoked in hospitals in the olden days.....but as we are all enlightened now,  of course this is no longer the case......I guess my point is, is that it seems backwards to me.  It would be like, they DIDN'T smoke in hospitals back then....but then they decided somewhere along the way to 2008 that it was  OK.  

The study to determine that narcotics for infants is harmful is out of order.  

*I still think I'm explaining it badly. [/DIV]

Sportsdude

They have to prove it scientifically for it to be a fact. It's what doctors do. There's a good comedy sketch somewhere in scientific thinking if everyone thought like a scientist.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."