1953- From UBC in the air. Look at all the trees east of downtown

1956- West End and Downtown

1958- Looking down Georgia Street.

1964 West End

1976- Georgia Street

1981- False Creek

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

I wouldn't mind 1930s looking Vancouver, all those trees!
Speaking of which I saw a picture of Nanaimo from the 50s. Wow, talk about small town, *cries* all those trees that are gone.

Van

awesome!

My mom cries when she goes back to Vancouver to visit. She has been gone for 10 years now or so.

Her and my dad said Vancouver in the 60s was the best place in the universe.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

SD....you should check out UBC on Google Earth.  You wanna see trees in the city ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Van

what about 86? You could see Expo from space.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Van

My mom always says Vancouver was more laid back than the interior in those days. lol, maybe a little exagerating, but funny.

I imagine Nelson today isn't much different from 1968. Only more tourists around.

Sportsdude

lol P.C. I know about the Endowment Lands, but I'd still like the 1938 Vancouver, the city looks like it was planted in the wild.    

Vancouver Noir

This is a great collection and I'd like to repost a couple on our blog: Vancouver Noir.  A couple of pieces of info for you:  the 1953 shot ... those aren't trees in the east end, they're dark houses with dark roofs.  The 1912 skyline shows the old Central School neighbourhood (aka: Ward Two).  It was zoned out of existence by City Hall starting in the late 1920s.  Now, it's chi-chi Yaletown.

P.C.

What makes you think that, Noir ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Vancouver Noir

Which bit?  The rooftops in the East End?  Because that's where I live and the trees here are too young.  The city neglected the neighbourhood badly for decades because (a) it was mostly non-white and that's what happened to non-white neighbourhoods in the mid-20thC, and (b) the more it was neglected, the sooner it could be condemned for being rundown (and the blame passed on to the residents) and then bulldozed to make way for freeways.  It didn't unfold like that in the end, although some blocks were lost to mega-projects.  What's left is now much more leafy, thanks mostly to campaigns by lefty civic politicians and officials in the 1960s and '70s.