Go Olympics!

Started by Sportsdude, Aug 07 08 08:56

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Michel

Sportsdude

Yeah and Bush is bringing in aid with u.s. troops, why? lol

psst wrong thread Michel, this is the olympic thread, lise's is the fakery thread. lol ;) :)

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Sportsdude

bwhahaha. no biggie :)

This is the panic thread about how Canada doesn't have a medal yet. Hysterical panic is sure to ensue. lol

Michel

Sportsdude

lol Anarchist! If they go medal-less (which they won't baring some kind of equipment disaster in rowing) you'll see a bunch of mad people going what happened and athletes coming out and saying that their budget was slashed 100%.  

Van

Sportsdude wrote:
bwhahaha. no biggie :)

This is the panic thread about how Canada doesn't have a medal yet. Hysterical panic is sure to ensue. lol

Not sure about anyone else, but I slept like a baby last night. My biggest concern was how great my coffee was going to be this morning.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Van

Awww!! Cute sleepy kitty. I love it.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

I guess I listen to CBC 1 and read the Globe and Mail too much. lol It's all the media is talking about. Some Canadian teams apparently had to pay their own way to the Olympics.  

Van

Yes, too much CBC only media can make a stomach turn. I do like it, but only for so long. Good to balance that stuff out.
Like eating nothing but bran muffins, that will catch up with a person and soon it will be time to have a piece of cheese.

Sportsdude

This article is in this mornings G&M, pretty much sums up Canada's sports media's cruelty toward the athletes. Apparently the writers have a defeatist attitude before everything even starts, how sad and pathetic.
[a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080813.wolymblatch13/BNStory/Front"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080813.wolymblatch13/BNStory/Front[/a]

'My Globe and Mail colleague Matthew Sekeres describes being at an event where a young Canadian athlete was asked why she'd failed, and reacted with "a look like her puppy had died."'

"There was also the time, in 1976 at Innsbruck, that Canadian sportswriters decided the country's women had no chance in the giant slalom, with most skipping the tedious trip to the ski hills. Kathy Kreiner of Timmins, Ont., then all of 18, roared to a gold; the sportswriters, me among them, scrambled desperately to catch a bus to get to the victory press conference in time.[/p] There are dozens of stories just like these; if you haven't heard them, it's because we don't write 'em."[/p]"As predictable as death and taxes, every Olympics features the traditional "Canada chokes" story.[/p] Less well recognized (and certainly less well publicized) is the fact that almost as traditional is the "Sportswriter eats his words" story, such as the time at Albertville in 1992 that one fellow retired for the night, serene in the knowledge that the start of his piece ("I fell out of bed last night. I wanted to know what it felt like to be a member of the Canadian team at the Olympic Games.") would endure.[/p] Alas, by the time he fell out of bed again the next morning, Canadian TV audiences had watched Kerrin Lee-Gartner tear to a gold medal in downhill skiing."

It's the crazy sports media, cruel bunch.

[/p]  

Van

That is mean. I usually skip the sports page though, LOL!

Sportsdude

Apparently when I was listening to the radio yesterday, just showing up is sooo Canadian like winning the award for being nice or something. Apparently a lot people just want to win, I think they just care about medals, which is stupid. Once you go down the 'win only' road, you lose the sense of the Olympics and you become a US or China where the Chinese gymnastics coach said if they don't win 5 golds its a failure. I mean come on. Or lets say Phelps loses and only ties Spitz, media will see it as a failure. That's not what the Olympics means.    

Sawdust

Now is it just me or is the "race walk" about the stupidest freakin event in the olympics?
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

|