Breast Feeding Protest at H&M

Started by Lise, Aug 07 08 08:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

I support the woman's right to pop out her boobs and feed her wee parasite!!!!

[FONT size=6]Breastfeeding protest at H&M[/FONT]

[img]http://media.metronews.ca/images/d5/28/d6ba924942da83e303fea007b45d.jpeg"]

A clothing store in Downtown Vancouver was overrun today by about 150 breastfeeding women during a noon-hour "nurse-in" to protest a mother being asked to breastfeed in a private fitting room.

Mothers, with babies (and some toddlers) at their breasts and strollers at their feet, crowded into the newly opened H&M on Granville Street.

An organizer of the protest seemed shocked that so many nursing mothers showed up.

"I was thinking five people – that'd be great," said Veronika Polanska. "Ten – that's even better. Fifteen – yeah. Twenty – it's a victory. But it seems to be a little more than that."
   [A href="http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/BreakingNews/article/95056"]Read More[/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I support those that have enough sense to do it discretely.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

awesome. Take over a goofy clothing store!  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Goofy clothing store?  I LOVE H&M.  

Anyways, I saw a photo of a women breastfeeding her child on one of those free newspaper and her photo wasn't discrete at all.  I could see a bit of "boob" skin.  

I'm with PC.  I support breastfeeding when women do it discretely.  I believe in covering your breast and bra up as much as possible.  

I honestly don't know what the big fuss is about.  The clerk asked her to go to a private change room.  The change rooms have comfortable seating and is private.  What's the problem?

Michel

purelife

Any woman, Michel?  

That could be arranged.

Michel

purelife

Someone who talks fast has fast, flexible tongue.  ;)  

Michel

Sportsdude

meant goofy in that they were uptight. lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Well, y'know.... having gone thru breast feeding recently, there are times when you just have to sit down and start feeding the parasite right away. Heck, if you wanna do it in front of everyone then you should have the right to do it. Society shouldn't make you feel guilty about it. Private room or not, it's your right to choose.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I don't think it's uptight to expect a little dignity SD.  The fact is, that we are in an unevolved culture that hasn't fully embraced full breast exposure in public.  Right or wrong isn't the issue. I see ladies all the time breast feeding in public.....and you'd be hard pressed to know that's what they were doing.  That's great....it actually warms my heart.

Then, I see others flop them out there with no subtlty at all, and frankly, I didn't want to see her breasts 9 month before and the fact that she's eventually going to attach junior to the end of it doesn't make me want to see it now.  I don't see it as an issue of rights....I see it as an issue of dignity.  Do they have the right ?  Absolutely.  Perhaps it's only my own modesty at work here, but for me....I would prefer baby and I to have a little quiet privacy.      

Van

I am all for mother's breastfeeding. Yes try and keep it discrete, or at least attempt to. It is so healthy for babies to have their mother's milk. Nature intended it that way.

I don't care for H&M anyways. I am not into cardigans and fashion scarfs.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

purelife

Breastfeeding here isn't as big as in the UK.  There was an area where I lived, the SW19 postal code area, where every mom was breastfeeding and bottled babies where minimal.  Everywhere I went, there would be moms breastfeeding, even in classes, seminars, at work, malls, outside of malls, subways, everywhere!  This was years ago and it could've changed.

I'm a believer in breastfeeding a baby but to just plop out that boob and expose it and then make a deal out of it, just doesn't seem right.  I would breastfeed, but in private, with some sort of cloth to cover it or your shirt to cover it as much as possible.  

Even I get disturbed when I see a women just sitting there with the bra open and boob popping out with this toddler and just breastfeeding.  Covering it up would be much preferred.  You're in public..not at home.  

I honestly don't know what the big deal was when the mother was offered a change room.  I would've taken it graciously and apologetic if I disturbed anyone.

P.C.

That's why I say it's not about 'rights'.  There is no question that they have the right to breast feed in public.  But to think that they have the power to force acceptance on everyone is unrealistic.  I'm not sure what happens to a person that would be normally be very modest about flopping their breast out in public today....but 9 months from today, the modesty is gone.  

And as a side thought....for every person who sees the beauty in a breast feeding moment, there is a letch who is drooling over a free boob shot.  No thanks. [img onclick="selecte('stern.gif');" alt=emoticon src="http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/blehnet/stern.gif[/img] There is only one person entitled to a free peek at the twins.