Tomato Salmonella Spreads To 17 States

Started by Lise, Jun 10 08 05:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Well, OK, thought I'd start a thread on this one and keep everyone posted. Or you keep me posted on those darn tainted tomatoes.

Click on the link for a video update.

[FONT size=6][/FONT]

[FONT size=6]Tomato Salmonella Spreads To 17 States[/FONT]

CBS/ AP) [!-- sphereit start --]Federal officials hunted for the source of a 17-state salmonella outbreak linked to three types of raw tomatoes, while the list of supermarkets and restaurants yanking those varieties from shelves and menus grew.

McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Burger King, Kroger, Outback Steakhouse, Winn-Dixie and Taco Bell were among the companies that [A class=link onclick="return linkTo(this);" href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/07/health/main4161898.shtml"][FONT color=#003377]voluntarily withdrew red plum, red Roma or round red tomatoes[/FONT][/A] unless they were grown in certain states and countries.

In addition, officials at the Los Angeles Unified School District - the nation's second largest - said Monday they have "indefinitely suspended" serving uncooked tomatoes.

The FDA is investigating the source of the outbreak, agency spokeswoman Kimberly Rawlings said. "We are working hard and fast on this one and hope to have something as quickly as possible," Rawlings said Monday.

Jaydee Hanson of the Center for Food Safety criticized the FDA's response to the outbreak. Hanson told CBS' The Early Show that the reason the search for the source has taken so long is that the FDA conducts fewer safety inspections.

The lack of oversight makes it "much more likely your food will be infected with something," Hanson said.

Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, tomatoes sold with the vine still attached and homegrown tomatoes are likely not the source of the outbreak, federal officials said.

[A href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/10/health/main4167625.shtml"]More[/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Van

Wasn't there a movie on this back in the 50s?? Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Russ

I thought attack of the killer tomato's was from the 80's? Or is there more than one?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Russ

Michel wrote:
You're right, it's a parody of B movies.  
   Yeah? I can honestly say Ive never watched a B movie for more than 5 minutes.

EDIT: Hey! Wheres my new avatar? Grrrrr
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Van

Russ wrote:
I thought attack of the killer tomato's was from the 80's? Or is there more than one?[/DIV]
 LOL, I am not sure? Just threw that decade out there. Never really followed up on that.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

I had tomatoes today, I'm not sick.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."