Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you say?

Zed
7 (77.8%)
Zee
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Gopher

Sometimes I seem to hear more zees than zeds, sometimes the contrary. Just wondered which one finds most favour with everyone here.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Gopher

P.C.

zee - American

zed - Canadian, Great Britain, India, New Zealand, Australia
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Any idea how this came about, PC?  

Sportsdude

No idea except Noah Webster really hated and I mean hated the Brits. So he changed every word that looked british and sounded british.

That's the best answer really. Blame Noah Webster.

I say zee only out of habit though, zed is this sexy exotic foreign word that I dare not speak south of Canada.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

Zed except in the song.  Then it's zee.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

herewegoagain

Sportsdude wrote:
No idea except Noah Webster really hated and I mean hated the Brits. So he changed every word that looked british and sounded british.

That's the best answer really. Blame Noah Webster.

I say zee only out of habit though, zed is this sexy exotic foreign word that I dare not speak south of Canada.

[FONT color=#c00000 size=6]Is your name PC?  Gopher asked for her answer.  Not yours!  PFFFFFT![/FONT]

Van

I use both.
Has anyone every heard of ZZ Top pronounced Zed Zed Top?
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

lol Van.  You're allowed to pronounce it ZeeZee.....they're an American band.

P.C.

[P align=left]The "zee" pronunciation is reinforced especially by the "Alphabet Song," a piece of doggerel set to music that ends with these lines:

[P align=left]ell em en oh pee cue, ar ess tee,
yoo vee double-yoo, eks wye zee.
Now I know my ey bee sees,
Next time, won't you sing with me?

[P align=left]The rhyme of "zee" with "tee" is ruined if it is pronounced "zed," a fact that seems so salient that many Ontario nursery school teachers retain it in the song even though they would never use it elsewhere.

[P align=left]Something like the power of rhyme must have been involved in propagating the American pronunciation.  LOL

[P align=left]

[P align=left]"The letter name zee, now American, was not invented in America, as several bumptious and jingoist American websites suggest. The letter has actually had eight or more names during its long sojourn at the bottom of the English alphabet: zad, zard, zed, zee, ezed, ezod, izod, izzard, uzzard. One of those names is zee, a dialect form last heard in England during the late seventeenth century. That name was brought to America by British immigrants, perhaps not on the Mayflower but very early indeed in American history.

[P align=left]One of the small matters is the name of the last letter of the alphabet. 'Z' is called "zed" everywhere in the world, not only in English but also in French, German, and most other languages, except in the United States , where it is called "zee." Hence "zee" is an American shibboleth."

[P align=left]My linguistic pet peeve is 'AN' historical event.  I don't understand it.  I actually remember when it went through 'the change'.  Caught on like wildfire in the media, and seems to now be accepted as normal or correct.

Van

Very in depth!

That is Zeeee-rrific!!

LOL, that was just a poke on ZZ Top I heard at a stand up comedy show. The comedian was asking the audience where 'Zed' comes from? He was from Texas. He asked if we called the band 'Zed Zed Top'.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/e058.gif" border=0]                                             [FONT color=#ffffff]  .[/FONT]

Van

P.C. wrote:
[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/e058.gif" border=0]                                             [FONT color=#ffffff]  .[/FONT][/DIV]
 LOL! This smiley looks waxed on mushrooms!

P.C.

That's about the only way you could find that much to say about Zed or Zee. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]