International Space Station Toilet Broken

Started by Lil Me, May 29 08 03:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

[span class="Font_size_C Font_style_B Font_color_A"]WASHINGTON - The International Space Station's lone toilet is broken, leaving the crew with almost nowhere to go.

[/span]                                                                   [div id="articleBodyContent" class="articleBody"]                                                               [span class="Font_color_B"][/span]So NASA may order an in-orbit plumbing service call when space shuttle Discovery visits next week. Until then, the three-man crew will have to make do with a jury-rigged system when they need to urinate.NASA says while one of the crew was using the Russian-made toilet last week, the toilet motor fan stopped working.[/p]Since then, the liquid waste gathering part of the toilet has been working on-and-off.[/p]Fortunately, the solid waste collecting part is functioning normally.[/p]Russian officials don't know the cause of the problem and the crew has been unable to fix it.[/p]The crew has used the toilet on the Soyuz return capsule, but it has a limited capacity. They are now are using a back-up bag-like collection system that can be connected to the broken toilet, according to NASA public affairs officials.[/p]"Like any home anywhere the importance of having a working bathroom is obvious," NASA spokesman Allard Beutel said.
 [/p] Full Story:
 [a href="http://technology.sympatico.msn.ca/news/contentposting.aspx?newsitemid=76224037&feedname=cp-science&show=false&number=0&showbyline=true&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=true&pagenumber=1"]http://technology.sympatico.msn.ca/news/contentposting.aspx?newsitemid=76224037&feedname=cp-science&show=false&number=0&showbyline=true&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=true&pagenumber=1[/a]
 [/p] [/div]  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Damn too bad they can't open a window. This sets back space travel. lol

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Just pee and let it go out the airlock. What's so hard about that?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

I think the problem is containing the pee.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

It will freeze become hard ice and break stuff like satellites's, space ships, and the international space station. Last thing the world needs is a castrophe in space causing mass panic down here and anarchy because stuff starts falling from the sky.    
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Why would anyone want to contain the pee? OK, in space, when one pees..... I'm assuming it just balls up into some kinda ball-liquid. So you just shove the wee bits into a container and then flush it out the airlock.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

When you pee, the droplets float up and don't necessarily go into the container.  Hence the need for the suction fan motor (the one that's borken).  

Lise

Solution: get someone to manually fan the pees...........? Well, when you're desparate enough, you'd do it.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Lise

* gets fan ready *

For God and Country! *salutes*  
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Michel wrote:
lol the catastrophic scenario of SD is funny.
 --
 It would make a heckuva good disaster movie.

Lil Me