Lost and Found

Started by purelife, Jun 05 08 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

What a story.  Yeesh.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

No kidding.  I'm not even going to tell you about the time I lost my key chain.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a090.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

P.C. wrote:
Really ?  How strange.  You'd think that there would have been a ton of questions.  Did you ever hear anything about it again ?  [/DIV]
 Nope.......and never asked.  I remember my buddy and I talked about it but never followed up.

P.C.

Rats.

The curiosity, the CURIOSITY !!!!

Sportsdude

Getting away from the dead body story. (Fiji is known for its civil unrest btw between locals and the indian population, they've had I believe 3 coupes in the last 20 years and a civil war somewhere during this time frame or before.)

Oma when she was living in her house would go at night through people's trash and find toys and such. Then of course she'd tell us a story about Hungary and why people here are so wasteful. lol

Everyone's favourite 'trash toy' she found was this cow and pig that scoot along the floor slowly walking. going mooo and oink oink.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

That's not something you'd find everyday, that's for sure, 49er.  Yikes...  

Sportsdude

lol. Spent an hour looking for my wallet.
Silly me it was next to the camera. lol

Lil Me

About once a day someone leaves a bicycle on a bus, SkyTrain or SeaBus. They get off at their stops, and their feet pound the pavement instead of the pedals.[/p] People regularly get off at their stops while their wallets head for the next station.[/p] Transit riders leave behind car and house keys, fishing rods, live insects, cellphones, car parts, stereos, musical instruments, boat oars, teddy bears, baseball bats, pills -- even artificial limbs.
 [/p] The found items are collected at the end of each day and taken to TransLink's lost property office, tucked away at the Stadium SkyTrain station.[/p] This small storehouse of forgotten treasures is quiet on a weekday when The Vancouver Sun visits, but there is a steady background buzz of activity. Employees review items, log them in the computer and sort them by category. Madonna is on the radio singing her 1980s hit Like a Prayer, accompanied by the click-click on fingers on a keyboard.[/p] Storage shelves are lined with handwritten labels, identifying, among others, the toy section, the umbrella wall, and the comically honest "oddball." Each item is tagged to according to bus route and date found.[/p] On the oddball shelf are a few hard hats, an antique Egyptian-style plate, plastic containers that didn't make it home, and an orthopedic seat cushion.[/p] An entire wall is covered with row after row of umbrellas. These portable rain shelters are the No. 1 item people in Vancouver leave behind.[/p] Last year, TransLink's lost and found department received 5,953 of them. It also took in 3,232 wallets -- that's just under nine a day -- 2,510 cellphones and 2,164 hats.[/p] Four hundred and forty bicycles were turned in, for an average of 1.2 per day.[/p] Only about a quarter of these items are ever collected by their owners, said Juliana Bailey, manager for Coast Mountain Bus Co.'s customer service department.
 [/p] Full Story:
 [a href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=160cd39a-d959-4b0d-bc20-23c66ca2bbcc&p=1"]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/westcoastnews/story.html?id=160cd39a-d959-4b0d-bc20-23c66ca2bbcc&p=1[/a]
 [/p]  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Interesting Lil Me.  I find it remarkable that people are less attentive to their wallets than they are to their cell phones.  I guess that could be part of the problem....distraction ?

I once left my umbrella on the bus.  I had  set it down on the floor under a side bench.  I called lost and found that night, but it had not been turned in.  TWO days later, I caught the bus and assumed my regular seat.....and much to my amazement, there was my umbrella in the same spot I had left it.

Michel

purelife

I remember calling that Translink L&F once for an umbrella.  They had it, surprisingly.  I lost the same umbrella again and they didn't have it.  I think someone did the finders keepers... :(

It was my fav umbrella cuz it was a gift from my last job.

Sportsdude

Going back to St. Louis in December I left my sister's Christmas presents (roots hoodie and a shirt) on the airport shuttle, the driver ran me down saying I left something on the airport shuttle. I was in too good of a mood, I tend to forget stuff the happier I am. go figure.

purelife

MrPL lost his wallet when he was tubing at Whistler.  A kid found it on the hill and returned it to the front desk.  

Sportsdude

oh oh oh lol lucky duck.

|