Satellite photos show one-third of Canada's forests chopped up by industry

Started by Sportsdude, Mar 22 06 11:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Satellite photos show one-third of forests chopped up by industry: report [!-- END HEADLINE --] [DIV id=ynmain][!-- BEGIN STORY BODY --] [DIV id=storybody] [DIV class=storyhdr] [SPAN]BOB WEBER[/SPAN][EM class=timedate]Tue Mar 21, 6:37 PM ET[/i]

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV]

EDMONTON (CP) - Roads, logging, energy development and other industrial activities have already chopped up almost one-third of Canada's forests, according to a report to be released Wednesday by Global Forest Watch.

In a report compiled from more than 1,000 NASA satellite photos, the organization found that nearly all intact forest left in Canada was in the territories and the northern parts of the provinces. Nearly two-thirds of that undisturbed forest was found in British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec and the Northwest Territories.

Alberta, with only four per cent of Canada's intact forest, has allowed activity in nearly all its woodlands, the report found.

It's the first time a study has taken a uniform look at how much untouched forest is left and where it's located, said Forest Watch director Peter Lee.

"There've been many regional studies, but nothing that's been done nationwide," he said.

"Government and industry do not ask those kinds of questions. They don't want to know the answer."

Lee's report used Landsat photos with enough detail to pick out objects 28 metres in size. It defined an intact forest as an untouched area of at least 100 square kilometres in the northern boreal forest and 50 square kilometres in the temperate forests of the Maritimes, southern Ontario and B.C.

That may seem like a high standard, but Lee said it depends on the context.

"If you're a woodland caribou, it's not very high. If you're a grizzly bear, it's not very high."

In all, the report examined about 6.5 million square kilometres of forest.

Alberta's forests have suffered the heaviest industrial impact, the report found. Only seven of 63 management areas still have more than half the forest intact.

The activity has had predictable results on wildlife habitat.

Less than half of Alberta's woodland caribou habitat and only one-quarter of its grizzly bear range still contain intact forest sections.

"Everybody is aware of how rapidly Alberta is proceeding with industrial development in its forests," said Lee.

Forestry and energy development are a "double whammy" in the province, he said.

Still, the report found that 70 per cent of Canada's forests remain whole and healthy.

Lee said the data can be used to monitor changes in the forest landscape. The information is also useful to environmental groups wanting to develop habitat protection campaigns and to forestry companies working towards environmental certification.

[DIV class=spacer][/DIV][/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

CK

This isn't really news. Alberta excels at exploiting every natural resource. I remember at a environmental conference a couple years ago, Alberta, and Oregon had really bad grades in forestry practices. The interior of Oregon is in bad shape too. Poor re-planting and re-growth.

Sportsdude

I know Alberta likes to whore themselves but when are they going to realise that what there doing has consquences.

CK

Believe me, I seen some sh*t in the BC forest industry too that would make you bring up your lunch.

Sportsdude

I guess it has to do with conservative governments. After all during the election Alberta said it wanted 'in' even though democracy hasn't existed in Alberta in a quarter of a century (conservatives winning elections).

Anyway the governments of B.C. and Alberta need to realise that they should protect the forests because they are not going to be there forever.

soapbox

please downoad google earth and investigate yourself the level of logging activity in BC.

Sportsdude

soapbox

check out vancouver island and the region just east of kelowna   ;(

Sportsdude

CK

Oh man! There are so many things that piss me off with forest practices. One thing, companies are re-planting trees. Problem is, you can't plant trees like corn and expect a "bumper crop" of a forest to happen overnight. Forests take decades and decades to become rich. Forest fires are really good for re-growth, way better than clear cutting and re-planting. 100 years later the forest is better than before after a fire. There is a smart way for forestry to work. We are all part of the problem too, who hasn't used a wood and/or wood by product today?

CK

Uh, want to clarify too..I am not saying forest fires are the way to go about proper forestation. I guess I am just saying, there is no easy answer but to slow down and be very selective with logging. No easy solution.