Help with Chinese

Started by Sportsdude, May 20 08 02:24

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

Send her some homemade paprikash.  

Sportsdude

She'll have plenty of that where she's going, which I don't think personally she'll be there long. Hungarian language is stupid hard.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

English is also a hard language to learn and I know this chinese lady who grew very fluent in 6 months because of her 24/7 dedication to mastering the language.  You wouldn't be able to tell that she was an Immigrant 6 months ago.

Sportsdude

wow. There's still some people in my family that sound like they just came off the boat and they've been here for 60 years. lol

Then there's Arnold which none of us understand why he still acts like he learned english yesterday.

van_guy

Sportsdude wrote:
wow. There's still some people in my family that sound like they just came off the boat and they've been here for 60 years. lol

Then there's Arnold which none of us understand why he still acts like he learned english yesterday.

There are people in trailer parks across the land that have been here for generations and are nearly unintelligible (or is that unitelligent?)

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Sportsdude

Ah you mean the folks that speak the wondeful language known as 'American' lol.
There's English and then there's American. To some Senators in Congress Americans don't speak English but American. go figure.

Yeah those people. Who live in Montreal, Missouri but say they live in Man-tree- il, Mazzzerah or Rehn-elt (Renault), Ellenoissss (Illinois or Illin- oye)

Steelville, Missouri is another good one. Its said Stillville Mizzzerrrah.
Warshington is another.

Care-o (Cairo) Illinois.

van_guy

Sportsdude wrote:
Ah you mean the folks that speak the wondeful language known as 'American' lol.
There's English and then there's American. To some Senators in Congress Americans don't speak English but American. go figure.

Yeah those people. Who live in Montreal, Missouri but say they live in Man-tree- il, Mazzzerah or Rehn-elt (Renault), Ellenoissss (Illinois or Illin- oye)

Steelville, Missouri is another good one. Its said Stillville Mizzzerrrah.
Warshington is another.

Care-o (Cairo) Illinois.

I wasn't refering to americam trailer parks - rather trailer parks in general.

But since you bring this up ...

I was watching seasame street with the kids and big bird was on the great wall of china and he asks this little kid if she speaks american and the kid replies no - but i speak english!  I laughed my a$$ off.

Illinois is especially bad - Michel will have a cow  -  I was visiting a friend just outta Chicago - and people kept refering to the suburb of mar sails and i did'nt see it on the map - then i realized they were refering to Marseille there were a few others but the mar sails just kiiled me.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Michel

P.C.

Well, I have to admit....I almost never get this one off my tongue on the first try.  Ucluelet.

Uculet....Ucuelet....Ulculet....Ucululet.....  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Hmm I know a few people who would berate against the kid on Seasame Street. lol

Yeah, most of my family is from Southern Illinois and they go out of their way to correct anyone who says the 's' at the end of it. Plus I consider myself Illinoisian moreso then Missourian. You can go to the local Applebees in Carbondale on a Friday night and you'd think you were in Vancouver. So odd that people from all over the world come to Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. I mean Carbondale banned Halloween because Frat boys burned the town down a few years ago and then of course the radicalism of the 70s riots and such.

Don't know much about Northern Illinois (outside of Chicago) but Illinois has had a political civil war going on for a while. The south which is less populated and conservative thinks Chicago is out to get them and have thought about wanting to split. lol. Although their Gov. right now is probably the second worst in the nation after Missouri's. He refuses to live in Springfield, he governs from Chicago and is corrupt. The House and Senate are trying to recall him.

But Northern Illinois does seem to butcher the french names moreso then the South. Joilet, Illinois is a good example. Its named after the French Canadian explorer but they corrupted the name for some reason.

Michel

P.C.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Hey Michel, got a question.
There's this old French Fort in Southern Ill. that was burned down by the brits and then left for ruines for about 100 years. Then the state decided to make an exact replica of it.

Everyone says "Fort Charters" but its spelled Chartres. Are the locals correct or are they off?
[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Chartres"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Chartres[/a]

which btw is next to a town called Prairie du Rocher which is said locally as "Roacher" lol

Michel

Michel

|