Cyclone has killed 100,000 in Burma

Started by Sportsdude, May 06 08 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7385662.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7385662.stm[/a]

sad
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

stretchedout

When things like this happen it creates a backlog at the Pearly Gates, because they still have to deal with the usual 155,000 per day.
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Sportsdude

[a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24497236/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24497236/[/a]

100,000 now dead.

Van

Brutal! about to get worse too by the looks of things.

My heart goes out to the people in need.  
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

stretchedout

Van wrote:

------------------------

Well there are a whole more of million of people suffering right now too.  We need to face the facts.  This planet has too many humans.  Time to follow Japan - reduce population for every country.  No more of these families in BC having 8 kids.  One only please.  

P.C.

while the top U.S. diplomat in Myanmar said Wednesday that [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]up to 100,000 people MAY have died[/FONT] in the devastating cyclone.

Tuesday.... "A U.S. diplomat said the death toll from Saturday's cyclone, now tentatively at least [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]22,000[/FONT], could reach 100,000"

"....estimated on Wednesday that the death toll in Myanmar from Cyclone Nargis[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"] exceeded[/FONT] [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]50,000[/FONT], based on its local knowledge"

This morning...."Myanmar's military government has put the death toll at [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]22,500[/FONT]"

2 hours ago...State Myanmar radio and television reported a death toll of [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]22,980[/FONT] with 42,119 missing and 1,383 injured

An hour ago... An estimated [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]80,000[/FONT] people died in the delta's Labutta district alone,

..............from the same article....recent Myanmar government estimates put the death toll at [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]70,000,[/FONT] mainly in the delta area.

[FONT size=2]Save the Children said Tuesday that it expected the death toll from Myanmar's devastating cyclone to reach [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]as high as[/FONT] [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"]50,000[/FONT][/FONT]

I understand the overwhelming impossibilities to accurately report something of this nature, but the news is supposed to be the news.  Should it not report what they KNOW....not what they think?  And if they are going to report what they think they know, some consistency across the board should be considered.  

(rant finished)

My heart too goes out to these people.  Aside from the unbelievable fear they must have endured during this being unfathomable.....but the fears they must face now are horrifying.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

I can't understand why a government would thwart relief efforts, when they are desperately needed.
 There are so many countries (including Canada) who want to help.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

You would think we would have fine tuned relief efforts projects and procedures by now.

I don't understand either.

(as I get older and supposedly wiser, the number of things I don't understand is growing rapidly.)

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
I can't understand why a government would thwart relief efforts, when they are desperately needed.

I'm finding in Vietnam that a lot of stuff has to do with "saving face"  if you need help  you are weak and inept - therefore to look strong and capable I must refuse all outside help ,,,  for a smaller scale version why don;t guys ask for directions at the gas station when they are lost?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Sportsdude

van_guy wrote:
  Lil Me wrote:

I'm finding in Vietnam that a lot of stuff has to do with "saving face"  if you need help  you are weak and inept - therefore to look strong and capable I must refuse all outside help ,,,  for a smaller scale version why don;t guys ask for directions at the gas station when they are lost?

I ask for directions. The whole alpha male masculinity thing is a load of crock if you ask me.
Nobody can figure out exactly how many are dead because of the military junta who refuse to help and hide the realities.

P.C.

I ask for directions. The whole alpha male masculinity thing is a load of crock if you ask me.
Nobody can figure out exactly how many are dead because of the military junta who refuse to help and hide the realities.

[/DIV]
That's not what I was trying to say.....I probably said it poorly.

Nobody can figure out exactly how many are dead, because it is impossible at this point to know how many are dead.    

What I'm trying to say, is why then can they not simply say...."there is no information yet on the number of fatalities".  Period. That's accurate information... which is what the news used to be.  Now, they report speculation, opinion, hearsay, information that has not been verified or validated....(that used to be a sin in the journalistic world).  

Van

stretchedout wrote:
Van wrote:

------------------------

Well there are a whole more of million of people suffering right now too.  We need to face the facts.  This planet has too many humans.  Time to follow Japan - reduce population for every country.  No more of these families in BC having 8 kids.  One only please.  ok, you have none, and I will have two so it evens out.

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

[h1 style="font-weight: normal;"] U.N. says 1.5 million people affected by Myanmar storm[/h1]The United Nations estimated 1.5 million people have been "severely affected" by the cyclone that swept through Myanmar, as the United States expressed outrage with the country's junta over delays in allowing in aid. In Myanmar, despairing survivors awaited emergency relief on Friday, a week after 100,000 people were feared killed by Cyclone Nargis as it roared across the farms and villages of the low-lying Irrawaddy delta region.[/p] "We're outraged by the slowness of the response of the government of Burma to welcome and accept assistance," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Zalmay Khalilzad.[/p] "It's clear that the government's ability to deal with the situation, which is catastrophic, is limited," he told reporters on Thursday.[/p] The U.N. food agency and Red Cross/Red Crescent said they had finally started flying in emergency relief supplies after foot-dragging by Myanmar's military rulers. The United States, however, was waiting for approval to start military flights.[/p][a href="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080509/n_top_news/news_myanmar_cyclone_col"]http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080509/n_top_news/news_myanmar_cyclone_col[/a]

stretchedout

Van wrote:
stretchedout wrote:
Van wrote:

------------------------

Well there are a whole more of million of people suffering right now too.  We need to face the facts.  This planet has too many humans.  Time to follow Japan - reduce population for every country.  No more of these families in BC having 8 kids.  One only please.

ok, you have none, and I will have two so it evens out.

-------------------------------

Well I hope you have a solid six figure income with assets in hand already.  The cost of raising children is basically $1 million per.  Now you do plan to have a house to raise children in right?  And pretty soon every other child will be diagnosed as ADHD or with Autism, and the gov is cutting back funding.  I know a guy who pays $45k per year out of his pocket for special training for his hyperactive child.

van_guy

[em][/em]That's not what I was trying to say.....I probably said it poorly.  
Nobody can figure out exactly how many are dead, because it is impossible at this point to know how many are dead.    

What I'm trying to say, is why then can they not simply say...."there is no information yet on the number of fatalities".  Period. That's accurate information... which is what the news used to be.  Now, they report speculation, opinion, hearsay, information that has not been verified or validated....(that used to be a sin in the journalistic world).

No I think we figured that out - we were just commenting on LM's comment about Burma not accepting help from the outside world.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)