Nanaimo mayor sues over bumper stickers, accused says lets wrestle

Started by Sportsdude, May 02 08 10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

This is the water cooler talk around town. Its quite hysterical.

Making good on a threat a year ago to sue anybody selling, producing or distributing bumper stickers implying that he is corrupt, Nanaimo Mayor Gary Korpan has filed a pair of lawsuits.[/p]The red, blue and yellow stickers, stating "Free Nanaimo from Koruption," surfaced more than a year ago and in May 2007 Korpan said he was consulting with his lawyers. He said at that time that connecting him in any way with corruption is defamatory.[/p]"There's nothing in the corruption section of the Criminal Code that applies to me," said Korpan. "In my many years as an elected representative of Nanaimo, I've never used my position to any personal advantage."[/p]
The papers were filed April 18 in B.C. Supreme Court in Nanaimo.[/p]Angela Negrin of Pirate Chips on Commercial Street was served papers alleging libel and defamation for having the sticker in her place of business.[/p]Tony Parkin is alleged to have published the stickers and is named in a separate writ of summons.[/p]"I really do want to talk to you guys, but I just want to talk to my lawyer first," said Negrin.[/p]Korpan declined to say if anyone else would be served papers alleging defamation.[/p]"That depends on what we find out through the course of the proceedings," he said.[/p]Korpan also declined to comment on allegations he made last year that the Friends of Plan Nanaimo group was behind the stickers, saying that more details will come out at pretrial discovery hearings. "Those who have been lying to us will be obliged to answer us," he said.[/p]Friends of Plan Nanaimo demanded an apology from Korpan over his allegation.[/p]The statement of claim includes that Negrin was asked to remove the sticker and Parkin was asked to "cease publication and distribution."[/p][a href="http://www.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=045559c5-b2e2-4d87-b237-84ee083c6c0b&k=62123"]Link[/a]
[/p]Ah yes those evil Friends of Plan Nanaimo people, the walrus's thorn in the side enemy that he can't seem to silence. lol

Oh it gets better:
[h4]Accused invites his worship to wrestling match[/h4]
The man who Nanaimo Mayor Gary Korpan claims produced allegedly defamatory bumper stickers is now challenging the politician to a public wrestling match.[/p]Tony Parkin, being sued over stickers that state, "Free Nanaimo from Koruption," said on the comment section of the Daily News website, "I would like to challenge Gary Korpan to a public wrestling match in the ballroom of the Port of Nanaimo Centre on opening day."[/p]Parkin later confirmed that he made the posting and repeated the challenge.
"We'll make it like the Frank Ney days," said Parkin in an interview.[/p]Korpan was not amused.[/p]"I don't think it's worthy of any comment and all response will be through the court," said Korpan.[/p]Parkin refused to comment when asked about the allegation in court documents that he "falsely and maliciously published the sticker."[/p]"I'm not going to comment on producing it," said Parkin.[/p][a href="http://www.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=4df83f41-a00f-4c48-a9b6-03569561100b&k=68806"]Wrestling link[/a]
[/p]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."