Should Texan Government take away sect children?

Started by Lise, Apr 24 08 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Texan Government take way sect children from their parents?

Yes
3 (50%)
No
2 (33.3%)
Don't Care
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Lise

Just wondering what you all think about how the Texan government is treating the whole situation in San Angelos.

On one hand, yes, I agree they should step in and take away the children especially if you suspect them of being abused. On the other hand, I don't think they should be separated from their mothers or siblings.

It's just a sad, sad situation here.

[SPAN class=inside-head][FONT size=6]Texas court: State can take sect children to foster homes[/FONT][/SPAN]

[DIV class=inside-copy]SAN ANGELO, Texas (AP) — Dozens of mothers from a polygamist retreat were bused away from their children Thursday, their legal efforts to stay united rejected as Texas officials sort out their massive custody case.

[P class=inside-copy]Two buses took the women from the San Angelo Coliseum, where they had been temporarily housed with their children. Texas officials were preparing to move the last of more than 400 children to group homes, shelters and residences, some hundreds of miles away, over the next few days.

[P class=inside-copy]One woman held a handwritten sign out the bus window that read: "SOS. Mothers separated. Help."

[P class=inside-copy][A href="http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-04-24-polygamist-retreat_N.htm"]Source[/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

It's very sad.
While the Texas gov't has good intentions, it reminds me of the Residential School situation that occurred in B.C.
It's so difficult.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Good question Lise.

As sad as it is, I think they need to be removed.  The next step should be in educating the mothers.  As misguided as they are, they aren't doing anything other than what they know.  That needs to be changed.  I'm sure the notion that they are doing anything wrong doesn't even have a way of registering for them.

I just keep thinking how confused these poor kids must be right now.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

we are talking about 13 year old mothers here as well.
They've been victims of abuse. They'll be in therapy for the rest of their lives, best start now.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
It's very sad.
While the Texas gov't has good intentions, it reminds me of the Residential School situation that occurred in B.C.
It's so difficult.

So you would rather leave a 12 year old girl with her mother so that the 12 year old can go ahead and get married to some fat balding 55 year old guy with bad teeth and have 16of his children.

Not an easy choice but ...

I guess all we can hope is that the children don't end up being cared for by catholic priests / nuns.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

P.C.

There's a huge emphasis put on these unfortunate girls in this sect, but the treatment of the boys is equally horrendous.  They are pretty much throw aways, as they are seen as competition for the old guys.  They are forbidden to have a relationship with any of the girls and stripped of any and all that they have if they leave. (which isn't much)  Talk about a life of feeling like nothing.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

Agreed. I cannot believe about the little boys as well. News like this just make me sick. I just hope that something good will come from this and that the children won't have to suffer too much. As it stands, they're damaged no matter what. *sigh*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.