Florida lawmakers debate offering a Christian licence plate

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 24 08 02:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[h1]                                         Florida lawmakers debate offering a Christian licence plate[/h1]
[img]http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080424/capt.114f229bd6244fd396374d6c1ff10453.religious_license_plate_mh101.jpg?x=400&y=183&sig=vQxeqJRfnTaGHWBOD7_rjw--"]

lol.... sad.

Florida drivers can order more than 100 specialty licence plates celebrating everything from manatees to the Miami Heat, but one now under consideration would be the first in the nation to explicitly promote a specific religion.[/p] The Florida Legislature is considering a specialty plate with a design that includes a Christian cross, a stained-glass window and the words "I Believe."[/p] Rep. Edward Bullard, the plate's sponsor, said people who "believe in their college or university" or "believe in their football team" already have license plates they can buy. The new design is a chance for others to put a tag on their cars with "something they believe in," he said.[/p] If the plate is approved, Florida would become the first state to have a licence plate featuring a religious symbol that's not part of a college logo. Approval would almost certainly face a court challenge.[/p] The problem with the state manufacturing the plate is that it "sends a message that Florida is essentially a Christian state" and, second, gives the "appearance that the state is endorsing a particular religious preference," said Howard Simon, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida.[/p] The "I Believe" licence plate still has a way to go before it reaches the roads. The proposal is part of a package of licence plates being debated in the Senate and ready for a floor vote. In the House, the bill that would authorize the plate has passed one committee 8-2. The Legislature's annual session ends May 2.[/p] Some lawmakers say the state should be careful. Rep. Kelly Skidmore said she is a Roman Catholic and goes to Mass on Sundays, but she believes the "I Believe" plate is inappropriate for the government to produce.[/p] "It's not a road I want to go down. I don't want to see the Star of David next. I don't want to see a Torah next. None of that stuff is appropriate to me," said Skidmore, a Democrat who voted against the plate in committee. "I just believe that."[/p] Florida's specialty licence plates require the payment of additional fees, some of which go to causes the plates endorse.[/p] One plate approved in 2004, displaying the motto "Family Values," funds Sheridan House, which provides family programs but also sees its purpose as "sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Bible" and "information about the Christian faith."[/p]This isn't the first time a Florida licence plate design has created religious controversy. In 1999, lawmakers approved a bright yellow "Choose Life" licence plate with a picture of a boy and girl. It raises money for agencies that encourage women to not have abortions. That generated a court battle, with abortion rights groups saying the plate had religious overtones. But it was ruled legal, and about a dozen states now have similar plates.[/p]
[a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080424/ap_on_re_us/religious_license_plate"]Link[/a]
[/p]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Van

Hmm, I watch too much TV I think? I pictured the Florida plates as having a dead drug dealer loaded with bullet holes in a pool of blood surrounding him, with a peach in his mouth.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

florida's a weird place folks. lol
I personally would get the manatee plate, but then again, my grandparents moved to the county next to Manatee County. So my love for manatees runs deep.

Got a tour of a manatee rescue centre.

[img style="width: 535px; height: 368px;" src="http://www.nrca.org/yourenv/biodiversity/Species/gifs/manatee.jpg"]

P.C.

There's something off about the need to flaunt  ones spirituality this way.  (maybe I mean exploit...not flaunt ?...I'm not sure) It seems contradictory somehow.  I think of spirituality as something quiet and personal....not something that needs a tin plate to advertise to the world of strangers you will pass on the streets.  Can't put my finger on it...it just seems weird.      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Van

Or a picture of scantily dressed college girls like at Spring Break would be cool too...
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

Exactly.  What would be the cut-off ?  What if devil worshippers wanted their right's represented as well ?

I find the whole thing undignified.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

best defence to this "why would God care that he's on the money, the constitution, licence plates"
people fight for "in god we trust" , seriously. Or the god part in the pledge, the theo-rightists don't even care that the "god" in the pledge was added by the Eisenhower adminstration for POLITICAL GAINS. lol!!!!!

someone's faith in something or whatever is extremely personal I don't think it needs to be even shared in public at all, I despise the people who need to do a praise jesus! after scoring a touchdown or hitting a home run. It's fruitile and pointless. The "I'm with God" crowd is completely annoying "I'm saved and you aren't, I'm going to heaven and you aren't" is again just stupid.

lol

Van

P.C. wrote:
Exactly.  What would be the cut-off ?  What if devil worshippers wanted their right's represented as well ?

Now that would be entertaining. Canada has such boring plates! Alberta doesn't even have a front plate??

Van

Yeah, I am just trying to figure out who this famous 'Jamie Souvens' dude is? Did he discover Québec? ;)

Teasing!!!