stories about child disasters

Started by purelife, Apr 23 08 10:42

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

Have you ever just turned away for one split second to find that your baby/child has done something horrible?  ie, fall, jump off the balcony, destroyed your wall with crayons etc  This could be when you were babysitting or when you were a baby/child.

Any stories out there?

I remember once when I was babysitting, I just turned away from the baby to throw the diaper away.  She somehow rolled off the bed onto the ground with a loud klunk.  OMG, I was freaked and the mother rushed all the way up.  I'm surprised I didn't get fired..  I was only 14 or something like that.

Lil Me

I was outside BBQing a salmon.  Jeckyl was sitting beside me in his high chair.  Suddenly, he was climbing out of his high chair and leaning over the edge of the balcony.
 I nearly had a heart attack.
 Later that same week, I went out to buy a new high chair with a closer-positioned tray and 5-point straps.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Sportsdude

There were these chains at an outdoor patio at a taco bell by my family's apartment around '87-'88. I got the bright idea to sit on them. I of course lost my balance and went face first into the the concrete. Everyone was sitting outside so it was an 'event'.  Anyway I didn't break my nose but got a big cut and was proud of it (luckily no stitches). haha
Taco Bell removed the chains the next week and closed the patio seating. The Taco Bell closed a couple of months later... hahaha and no other establishment has had success there.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

van_guy

This is from a dear friend of mine ... her daughter, Dena, was 6 or 7 years old at the time.  My friend Cheryl, was at the airport in edmonton and Dena was with her.  The classic "I turned around for a second and the kid was gone" occured ... then the announcement over the loudspeaker - "would the mother of a small girl please assist security in talking her down from the overhead beams" ... Dena somehow managed to get onto a beam that overlooked the entire airport - probably 3-4 stories off the concrete floor.  Luckily the kid had good balance - no one was injured ... till later.  
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Michel

van_guy

Michel wrote:
WOW ! lol fortunately she didn't got hurt. It could have been terrible !  

oh yeah she could have been a big splat.  Cheryl was beside herself for weeks.

Michel

van_guy

Michel wrote:
How can a baby go that high ? Crazy architecture !  

It was pretty simple i guess - up and over a railing and then shuffle shuffle shuffle - all of a sudden you are 40 feet in the air.

Michel

P.C.

I remember when my oldest was a wee toddler and managed to disappear in the Woolworths on Granville Street during one of those...'I only turned my back for a second' moments.  I frantically went up and down every isle yelling for her like a lunatic, all the time being reassured by the people helping me look, that at least she couldn't have made it outside, as the door is very heavy.  

Well after wasting valuable minutes looking IN the store, we decided she HAD to have made her escape. Now I'm in full panic mode.  I look up the block and down the block deciding rapidly which way to look first.  A large circle of people were up near the corner...so I head that way first.  I made my way through the small mob (and even in my panicked state...thought it was odd that the Hare Krishnas had attracted this kind of attention)......

THERE in the center of the attention was my wee one, DANCING UP A STORM to the rhythmic chant of the Krishna mantra.  Her 15 minutes of fame came to an abrupt end, and the crowd dispersed.  I never wanted to ever feel that level of panic ever again.  I contemplated a leash.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

Let me tell you.... she had a spiritual awakening THAT day !!!!  

Michel

P.C.

French blood for sure....but not French Canadian.  Grandma born in Rouen....or Leon.....can't remember which. (I think it was Rouen)