Montreal riots after Habs win

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 21 08 11:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

lol, come on guys settle down. lol

[span style="text-decoration: underline;"][a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080422.wmontrealriot22/BNStory/National/home"]Link[/a]

[/span][!-- /dateline --]MONTREAL — The burned-out shells of at least five Montreal police cars littered the city's downtown early Tuesday morning after vandals torched and smashed vehicles and damaged businesses to punctuate a first-round NHL playoff victory celebration.  A massive crowd celebrating the Canadiens seventh-game victory Monday over the Boston Bruins filled downtown streets Monday and had started to disperse just before midnight when smaller pockets started the violence. There were no initial reports of injuries.[/p]  Jean-Francois Hotte said the incident degenerated quickly as police started chasing people.[/p]  "One minute we were all hanging out and celebrating and then all hell broke out," Mr. Hotte said.
------

well I know Carey Price is the next coming of Patrick Roy, but still cop cars? first round? interesting. now if cbc could at least be some what of a canadiens supporter and not so anti-habs...

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Van

Wow!

Do these knuckle draggers understand that NHL players DO NOT give a crap about them?

Too bad more people were not that passionate about their own lives interests and actions.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Michel

stretchedout

C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Van

Maybe you are correct Michel. The political feel in central Canada is a universe away from the west.

When the riots happened in Vancouver in '94 over the cansucks, I highly doubt it was anything political. It was Neandrathals with a sore temper tantrum.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

stretchedout

Most people are sheep.  That's how Mob Think or Group Think works.  One or two lead the sheep into sin.
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

P.C.

Van wrote: Too bad more people were not that passionate about their own lives interests and actions.

Excellent observation Van.[/DIV]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Michel

Van

oh probably will be different for 2010 for sure. Just the '94 riot in general. That was one of Vancouver's lowest point.    

Sportsdude

2010 of course there's going to be protests. Then a fringe group is going to do something violent and make a statement against something that represents the olympics (see WTO Seattle and the Nike sign) and people will take notice. With Beijing and Vancouver back to back, olympics are in serious jeopardy of looking completely different for London in 2012. Then by the time it gets to Russia in 2014, we maybe looking at an all out 'official' police state over there.

Anyway when something happens in Vancouver during the olympics, my parents/family will probably call me and say its "too dangerous!!!" to live in BC. lol

Van

I wonder if people would get that hyped over a CFL game?? lol. Although I am not a huge fan, CFL is one of the only prof sports I respect. The players are there for passion. Besides the qb, the average player makes less than the average fan in the crowd.    

Sportsdude

from what I've observed the only cities that really go nuts for the CFL is the entire province of Saskatchewan, Winnipeg.
toronto doesn't seem to care that much, I'm mean look they're going to get an NFL franchise, the Bills are playing games there this year.

Van

^oh for sure. I don't really go to games either. But that isn't for a love of the NFL. Don't watch NFL at all.  It is because I am just simply not into it. But, I respect it the CFL.

I think if a family of 4 can go for a night out to BC Place to see a decent sporting event for under $100, it is cool with me.

Orca

Tsk!

Somethings never change...

St. Hubert eatery (Chicken) on Ste. Catherine ALWAYS locked their door and changed the restaurant signage to 'Closed' (even when the clients are still inside) when the crowd from Forum came out.

I asked them when they do that, there won't be new clients coming in for an hour or so (until the crowd pass through) , they said they rather loose business, as letting some people in (that might not look drunk but are) has been costing them more.