FBI Lied To Support Need For PATRIOT Act Expansion

Started by TehBorken, Apr 16 08 07:55

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

I know I'm shocked. Oh,wait...no I'm not.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]It probably won't surprise you, but in 2005, the [a href="http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/fbi-director-ci.html"]FBI manufactured evidence[/a] to get the power to issue National Security Letters under the PATRIOT Act. Unlike normal subpoenas, NSLs do not require probable cause and you're never allowed to talk about having received one, leading to a lack of accountability that caused them to be widely abused.

The EFF has discovered via FOIA requests that an FBI field agent was forced by superiors to return papers he got via a lawful subpoena, then demand them again via an NSL (which was rejected for being unlawful at the time), and re-file the original subpoena to get them back. This delay in a supposedly critical anti-terror investigation then became a talking point used by FBI Director Robert Mueller when the FBI wanted to justify their need for the power to issue National Security Letters.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
There is something seriously wrong when an organisation charged with upholding the law and maintaining the moral society in which we all want to live feels it's acceptable to lie and cheat simply in order to grab more powers for itself. Remember this the next time the so-called "good guys" explain how the sweeping new powers they need to defeat terrorists and save all the children and puppy dogs would never be abused.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

van_guy

TehBorken wrote:
 I know I'm shocked. Oh,wait...no I'm not.

personally i'm appauled that americans who love thier rights so dearly ... were so bloody quick to give them up to a few terrorists with box cutters ... and george w (wait  a second terrorists george w in the same sentence ...)

[span style="font-size: 10pt; lineh-eight: 115%; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"]"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin [/span]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Van

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

van_guy

Van wrote:
Canada is in no better shape either.
I guess I as a canadian have more trust in the canadian gov't than i do of the amewrican gov't.  Perhaps we have a kindler gentler machine gun hand.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)